Do They Make A Cake Stacking Tool That Helps Avoid Finger Dents?

Decorating By bittersweety Updated 16 Feb 2013 , 5:39am by TracieCook

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 11

hey all.

so i did a wedding cake this weekend. ugh... long drive + 4 sets of railroad tracks= litle cracks in icing :( i hate when that happens. anyways, i got to the venue and started assembling the four tier cake and all was going well (aside for the travel related blemishes) and i was going to place a tier onto the bottom tier and my hand slipped just a bit i ended up leaving a sizable dent in the bottom tier from where my fingers got stuck under the tier i was placing ... anyhoo, i got it patched up and the cake ended up looking good with the help of meticulously placed sugar roses.. but i was wondering.. do they make a tool that (in my mind) resembles a very wide offset spatula, except not as long that you can use to pick up a cake tier with and place easily on top of the bottom tier?  in my head this tool looks like a larger spackling tool but is bent near the base off the handle to slip under the cake boartd. does that make sense? you would need two of them, one for each hand slip them under the cake, lift it and place it. then slide them out with no fingers anywhere near the bottom tier.  anyone ever seen anything like this?  maybe i'll try to make one....

10 replies
Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 11
bittersweety Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 11

i swear...evry time i post a question i end up answering my own question like a minute later!!  :)  i googled a bunch of stuff but then the Fat Daddios jumbo cake lifter caught my eye!  i think i found what i was looking for!

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 11

What I love about using the SPS for tiered cakes is that once the plates are in place, I can hold the cake by the plate and the cake board and don't have to touch the icing anywhere, or use a spatula to lift it. Easy Peasy!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 1:06am
post #5 of 11

If you're not using SPS (which I love, btw), pull your supports up a couple of inches, line up the cake over the supports, set the cake down, and watch it sink onto the bottom cake-hands free.

bittersweety Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 1:32am
post #6 of 11

AI do use sps but sometimes I still bump the bottom :( my husband is gonna make me two holders that we designed :) super excited!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 3:04am
post #7 of 11

I use an offset spatula.

bittersweety Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 3:07am
post #8 of 11

AI want something(s) that I can comfortably hold the cake with and hover it over the tier below it and comfortably lower it onto the bottom tier and onto the sps point...totally inventing this!

bittersweety Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 3:50am
post #9 of 11

A

Original message sent by bittersweety

i swear...evry time i post a question i end up answering my own question like a minute later!!  :)  i googled a bunch of stuff but then the Fat Daddios jumbo cake lifter caught my eye!  i think i found what i was looking for!

I want something(s) that I can comfortably hold the cake with and hover it over the tier below it and comfortably lower it onto the bottom tier and onto the sps point...totally inventing this!

nevermind ...not what I wanted

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 5:08am
post #10 of 11

what about a pizza peel.

TracieCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracieCook Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 5:39am
post #11 of 11

I am a professional cake decorator and this is what I use when I assemble my tiered cakes. Its a lifesaver. Probably about 10-12" in diameter. They have ones that have a slanted handle and some that are straight. Heres the link on ebay where I seen this one.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norpro-Grip-EZ-3192-Stainless-Steel-10-Cake-Pizza-Lifter-NEW-/140916261550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cf4382ae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%