Fondant Emblem And Decor Falls Off Of My Buttercream Cake

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 14 Feb 2013 , 4:10pm by mmmcake0072

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, I mostly create fondant cakes but the other day I made a small cake 6 inch with buttercream and daisys and a round disk flat emblem with ladies initial on it, to be put front and center of cake. I attached the daisies with royal and they did not fall, but i attached the emble with melting chocolate because it was heavier piece. Later that day i came back and the emblem had pulled out and fallen off the cake.

How do you all get your heavy items to attach well to buttercream? I see others on here that put heavy strips and bows in front sides of cake and are secure, but i cant get them to work for me. Any ideas im missing..?

6 replies
Pam1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam1976 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 7

I attach my fondant decorations to buttercream with Crisco and they don't fall.  I have even used edible glue with no problems.  Was your plaque really thick?

shannycakers Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 7

yes, i use a crusting american buttercream, and the plaque was a fondant circle with a smaller circle on top of it with a letter, about the size of a coke can top maybe larger.. but i am wondering how people attach giant bows to the middle sides without them falling if i cant even get my plaque to stay with chocoloate..

no i can do small flowers n dots with no issues..

Pam1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam1976 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 7

Hmmmm, I don't know.  I have never had a problem.  

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 7

You can make a large stake on the back with royal, and then pierce the icing and cake, or make a few smaller ones, and pierce through just the icing. 

Some people use tooth picks, until set, then take them out. 

Or try making it thinner. 

shannycakers Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 7

ok thank you:)

mmmcake0072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmcake0072 Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 7

I use either water, sugar syrup or piping gel....if it is a really heavy plaque I would attach a dowel to the plaque using chocolate and then insert into the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%