Donating Cupcakes For A Race...advice Needed On The Best Way To Package Them.

Decorating By stephdover4 Updated 13 Feb 2013 , 1:33am by stephdover4

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 2:03am
post #1 of 12

I am donating cupcakes for the runners of "Race for RARE 5k/10 Mile Trail Race"  here in my town end of this month. These will be for the runners to take as they are leaving.  I want to package them so that the effort won't be wasted.

What do you suggest is the best way to package them. I saw somewhere that  putting them in the 9 oz clear solo cups ( http://www.dollartree.com/Solo-Clear-Plastic-9-oz-Cups-12-ct-Sleeves/p298716/index.pro ) then place them in treat bags is a good way. Some say just put them in the treat bags; what do you think?

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 2:52am
post #2 of 12

leaving after the race is over you mean?? whatever is the easiest to carry i think--either of the ways you suggested--but i think without the cup is prettier and the cup might throw them off as to what's in there maybe

if it's 'leaving' as in out on the race then again the easiest packaging which would probably be just a plastic wrap wrapper because they can 'eat and run'--it can be squeezed out of a hole in the wrapper--all one handed--if it's a tied wrapper then it's too hard to deal with & run

that's how the runners & cyclists in my family do it

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 2:55am
post #3 of 12

gawd, no, don't just put them in a treat bag! They will be mushed to bits. Have you seen runners after a race? They are all panting and sweating, and careless, in most cases. I have seen them fling themselves all over, I can see grabbing the cupcake, and fling it into the car, plopping in, and promptly mash it. 

And, when I run and it feels like my lungs are filled with jagged ice, and my legs feel like jelly, and my arms are light feeling and my heart is pumping in my face, the last damn thing I want is a cupcake, no offense. I glass of water or Gatorade is more like it. Then maybe some sherbet. A shower and a nap comes to mind, as well...no cupcakes. 

And I bet a lot of these runners are tree hugging, vegans, and don't eat carbs. I have been around the type quite a bit. You go out with them and they get a salad with no dressing, then pull some homemade olive oil and garlic dressing stuff out of their purses, because "commercial dressing is pure sugar!" Their idea of dessert is berries mixed with granola. (And they just about poop themselves when you get a cheeseburger and fries :-D  )

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 3:07am
post #4 of 12

anna, you certainly make the point icon_biggrin.gif

and even though it clearly says c-u-p-c-a-k-e i thought m-u-f-f-i-n because yeah runners are especially weird

i did a cake for a triathlon group here--i used the darkest chocolate and i can't even remember what all i did but i tried real hard to make it 'werid runner friendly' a lot of them are painfully careful eaters

anna's right--oats and nuts and twigs--they love it! and go easy on the oat & nut part

icon_lol.gif

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 3:36am
post #5 of 12

AEvery race ice ever run in had bagels, muffins, granola bars, donuts, candy, burgers, beer, and it all gets devoured. Your cupcakes will get eaten. The clear solo cup and treat bag tied with a pretty ribbon is adorable. One of the moms at my son's school did cupcakes like this for a bake sale and they were a big hit. She tied a fork on the bag too, but I think most ppl eat cupcakes with their fingers.

Annabakescakes Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 4:12am
post #6 of 12

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

anna, you certainly make the point :D

and even though it clearly says c-u-p-c-a-k-e i thought m-u-f-f-i-n because yeah runners [I]are[/I] especially weird

i did a cake for a triathlon group here--i used the darkest chocolate and i can't even remember what all i did but i tried real hard to make it 'werid runner friendly' a lot of them are painfully careful eaters

anna's right--oats and nuts and twigs--they love it! and go easy on the oat & nut part

:lol:

"just twigs for me, please!" Lmao!

Annabakescakes Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 4:15am
post #7 of 12

AA good friend of mine is a runner and I ran with her a few years ago. She eats tofurkey instead of turkey, and eats a huge family size bowl of dry lettuce and spinach with alfalfa sprouts. When we go out together, we get a coffee!

tawnyadee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tawnyadee Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 4:16am
post #8 of 12

I think it's extremely generous of you to donate cupcakes for this event.  Make a lot, though -- cupcakes are a nice treat after a nice run :)  I bet most of them will get eaten on the spot.  For those that take them home, I think the plastic cup/cello bag is the perfect packaging.

(I was trying to attach a pic of me, my husband and friends after a 10k enjoying some cupcakes but my computer froze up each time)

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 6:38am
post #9 of 12

I used the see-through plastic cup with lid and it worked beautifully! I bought the 9oz short cups with their flat lids (Sam's and Costco didn't have the right ones so I had to go to a restaurant supply store). Put the flat lid down and put the cupcake on it. Then, take the cup and put it over the top and lock it into place. It was great! I put a sticker with my business name and contact info on each cup. There was practically no mess at all and I didn't need to put it into any plastic baggy. SO convenient! I hope that helps!

Someone else on CC posted this picture:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbrQHzg70jzmYarlKyu8Imx4yjUA0BlpYALhaYBzUeUGTmzYZX

I hope that helps!

thebrat68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebrat68 Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 11:06am
post #10 of 12

That is a great idea SaltCakeCity

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 1:36pm
post #11 of 12

ABrilliant!

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 1:33am
post #12 of 12

Thank you for all the replies! I was asked to donate the cupcakes by the people who are putting it on, its a fundraiser so there will be serious runners as well as inexperienced ones. I don't think there will be a problem with them being eaten...LOL!!  I am also doing some muffins and other things as well.  Some will take them home I'm sure and others will eat them on the spot as well as pass altogether. I just want to be sure they aren't smashed if taken home. Sounds like the cup with the lid is the best option!! Didn't even think of lids Salt Cake City!! Thank you all!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%