Please Critique My Practice Cake:need All The Help I Can Get

Decorating By Stogz Updated 20 Sep 2005 , 2:16am by kendraanne

Stogz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stogz Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 2:16am
post #1 of 15

So, here is my practice cake for a baby shower next weekend. I am trying to make it look like the invites. Here is what I am not happy with and plan on changing...I am going to have white icing cover the cake. Would like the pink MMF a little darker. Dont know what to do around the feet and It's a girl so tried a few things. Dont really like either. Please tell me how to make this cake better. This will be my first cake for people besides my family to see and eat. I plan on making cupcakes and putting purple candy molds of feet on each one. Maybe I should just do feet on the cake and some writing. HELP!!!

For some reason I can not upload the picture. I just added it to galleries under baby shower. If you have the time to look and help me out I would appreciate it!
LL

14 replies
KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 2:23am
post #2 of 15

THE CAKE TURNED OUT GREAT! YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD OR YOURSELF. I THINK THE BLANKET UNDER THE FEET IS VERY CUTE. YOU COULD EITHER LEAVE THE BLANKET OR GET RID OF IT. IT REALLY DOES LOOK LIKE THE INVITATION. MAYBE YOU COULD COVER THE WHOLE CAKE IN MMF. THE FEET TURNED OUT GREAT! I WOULDN'T CHANGE IT TOO MUCH. GOOD LUCK!

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 2:24am
post #3 of 15

I like it a lot... the pink a little darker like you said. Good job!

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 2:26am
post #4 of 15

Don't know if this can be done being I have never worked with MMF under the feet could you do it square just like the invite with a border going around it? I think the feet are precious! I don't know I am not much help.... I think it is cute the way it is icon_biggrin.gif

cakeladyofga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyofga Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 2:55am
post #5 of 15

I love your cake. You did a great job on the feet. I would just double or triple your cake board. That way your cake wont bend when you pick it up. icon_smile.gif

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 3:00am
post #6 of 15

Ditto on thicker cakeboard. If you're just using a single ply, it's gonna crack no matter what you do.

I think you are off to a fantastic start on the cake. For the It's a girl & feet part, what if you did a double layer of fondant. First lay down a square of the bright pink, then put the light pink on top of it, so the bright pink is kind of like a frame. It will help your blanket & itsagirl plaque stand out a little more.

Ali

Stogz Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 15

I wanted to do a square and zig zag with MMF but when I pick up the MMF it went all crazy on me. Do you have to let the MMF harden before picking up? Or do you put it on the cake and then work with it?
I have a BCT in the freezer to see if that gives me what I want to go under the feet.
Thanks for the comments. It really helps!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 15

...just letting you know that I uploaded your cake pic! I think it looks terrific as is! thumbs_up.gif

Stogz Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 15

Thank you Mrs. Missy for uploading the picture. I really like how the BCT turned out. Think I will do that under the feet and words! So glad I did a practice cake icon_surprised.gif I would have been a mess.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 15

I agree with Ali.

I think the double border will make a big change.

All in all, great job.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 15

I like your blanket...I can't see whether you have any "detail" on it...when I make mine I use a 50/50 gumpaste and fondant....I bought a big screw like thing..just a metal rod about 6" long that has threads on it...I run it one way over the blanket piece and then turn it the other way and do the same..it gives the blanket a realistic look...

I also would try to give the piece that has "It's a Girl" on it a bit fancier look..use a ravioli cutter with the frilly edge???

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 15

Michelle, Your cake turned out sooooo cute!! I really like it. I'm sure your client will love it

Daniela

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 8:10pm
post #13 of 15

You did a great job on it!! Keep up the good work!

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 9:12pm
post #14 of 15

It's really adorable...the only thing I noticed was maybe to thicken up the base icing. It's hard to tell from a photo, but on the right side underneath the blanket and along the edges, it looks like it needs more frosting. Other than that, I love how cute it is!!!! Great job on the blanket!!

kendraanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendraanne Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 2:16am
post #15 of 15

Michelle ~ It turned out really cute!!! I'm sure Patty will like it! Can't wait to see pics of the final cake. Have fun hosting Patty's shower!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%