Can Anyone Explain This "technique"

Decorating By caleyb Updated 11 Feb 2013 , 3:47pm by -K8memphis

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 4:23am
post #1 of 6

I love this look - does anyone know how it is done - almost looks like "strings" running through it.


5 replies
keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 5:49am
post #2 of 6

It appears to be layers of fondant strings. Here's a link of a similiar cake.

Shan1781 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shan1781 Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 8:37am
post #3 of 6


You could achieve this look by piping with royal icing... just an idea...



Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 10:50am
post #4 of 6

Hi caleyb


I had a look at the link suggested by keepingitreal21 - perhaps this string effect design could have been made  using an IMPRESSION MAT???


Hope this helps!


cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 6

Get an extruder.  Squeeze out your strings and apply them to the cake while you have someone turn it  on a turntable.


It clearly says in the link that the cake was covered in fondant then the strings were applied to "give the ripple effect". 


You could do the 'strings' by hand, but I'm assuming you'll want the cake sometime this year.  It would take me that long by hand, lol  icon_biggrin.gif, but with an extruder and an extra pair of hands for the application, easy peasy.  The trick will be deciding the correct diameter for your strings.  Too small and it will look like wrinkles in your fondant, and too big and you lose the elegance of the original.. HTH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 6

extruder yes


and the marcato pasta rollers have spaghetti and fettuccine settings too


maybe easier on the hands/wrists


what a gorgeous cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%