Wilton Sugar Sheets

Decorating By Neophyte Updated 9 Feb 2013 , 3:08pm by DeliciousDesserts

Neophyte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neophyte Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 5

Would love some feedback on the use of Wilton sugar sheets.  I'm one of those who, despite the use of various brands, loathe fondant.  I'd really rather not pay for, use, or eat it.  To get around this on an upcoming graduation cake, I'd like to cut my design from sugar sheets.   

From my Wilton research, I see it's best for the buttercream to be fresh/soft so the paper like product will simply "melt" into the cake after sitting for a period of time (preferably the day before), making it almost imperceptible during consumption.  I'm not sure I get the logic of 3D designs since they won't make contact with the buttercream, but as I'm not interested in that, I should be o.k.  

Have you used them?  Any tricks or tips for ensuring proper melting?  Any bad experiences/mishaps?   Pictures to share?

4 replies
Neophyte Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 5

icon_smile.gif  And, yes - before someone suggests it - I have made my own MMF.  Not a huge fan of it either.  

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 5

AI hate them. They are brittle.

I purchase cutting sheets from icing images. They are made for use in electronic cutter. Love those & they are less expensive.

Neophyte Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 3:58am
post #4 of 5

DD, sounds like you're saying they're more durable.  Do they melt into the surface, too?  Also, sounds like you're the perfect person to ask about the printing system you use.  Which printer do you have?  How expensive is Icing Images compared to other companies?  Reliable?  

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 5

AThey are more durable. Neither the Wilton nor the electronic cutter sheet "melt" into the frosting. The only ones to do that are the regular frosting sheets. Not sure why Wilton would say they do.

I have the canon ix6520. It's an oversize & can't print the large sheets! I purchase it for $50 from staples. All edible ink is expensive. I like the price at edible images & that I can get all I need at one place. I also like that "edible images" is a member here. I I have trouble I can contact customer service or come here for tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%