Dobord Alternative...achieving Even Cookie Thickness

Baking By MsMonica Updated 5 Apr 2013 , 7:04am by FromScratchSF

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 10:35pm
post #31 of 46

next time i drag out my rulers and huff & puff to stack 'em up i'll be thinking about how much easier yours is!

poor little me ;)

jcp, huh?

icon_lol.gif

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 9:53pm
post #32 of 46

AMsMonica, I use a Wilton silicone pad. Works for me.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 9:53pm
post #33 of 46

AMsMonica, I use a Wilton silicone pad. Works for me.

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 10:37pm
post #34 of 46

I am so disappointed that I can't purchase the dobord.  I was really excited about it.

MsMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsMonica Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 4:10pm
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy107 

I am so disappointed that I can't purchase the dobord.  I was really excited about it.

I know right??? I was sooo excited to finally get my dobord. Big let down. Let's see how the "new" Dobord is and hopefully it'll be available soon. I'm testing out the new rolling pin today on Valentine's Day cookies for my son's Vday party at school. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 4:22pm
post #36 of 46

and--it is very heavy

not friendly to wrists and hands

unwieldy--

it is a really cool toy and i understand the disappointment

but that rolling pin does everything the db does

lighter and better

srsly

maybe soothe your disappointment by getting the $20 pin

and going wild spending the eighty bucks leftover on other cake toys

that's a cruel consolation prize ;)

icon_biggrin.gif

MsMonica Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 11:52pm
post #37 of 46

Oh k8! My thoughts exactly! What to spend the $80 on?? LOL. So much to choose from! icon_biggrin.gif

mariel9898 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariel9898 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 5:38am
post #38 of 46

Dobord is not hard to use. All you have to do is cut and fold a piece of parchment paper to fit the inner (lower) part of the board. Pull the paper under grooves on either end. Tape the end to the bottom - I use Gorilla Tape - pull through to the other side so it's taught and adjust so that the parchment lies smooth. Roll your cookies out between that and another piece of parchment. No extra flour, no mess and you don't have to fully wash the board every time you use it since it does not come in contact with dough. Because you don't use extra flour you can re-roll your dough without the worry of it becoming tough.

MsMonica Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 7:35pm
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti 

I have a few friends who swear by one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VC4PW0/?tag=cakecentral-20

It's 16 1/2" long.

Just an update! I bought this at my local JCPenney for $20 and worked great!! All my cookies were even!! Yay!!! 

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 11:53am
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMonica 

Just an update! I bought this at my local JCPenney for $20 and worked great!! All my cookies were even!! Yay!!! 

I am so excited.  I bought the newest version of the Joseph Joseph Rolling Pin at Macys yesterday.  This one has 4 different size rolling rings - 1/16, 1/6, 1/4 and 3/8.  The rings are a different color for each size.  There was a 15% off sale plus I had my 10% off coupon.  I got for $15.29 plus tax icon_biggrin.gif.  Thanks everyone who recommended it.  I will let you know how I like it when I make my cookies.

MsMonica Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 2:09pm
post #41 of 46

That's a great deal! My local Macy's home didn't carry it. It took a bit of getting used to since I'm used to a rolling pin with handles but it worked much better than my rolling pin with rubber rings. Good luck!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 4:12am
post #42 of 46

A

my MIL ordered my dobord from armchair world for Christmas a few years ago. I love it. But i believe they are back ordered or something like that. But armchair world was great.

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 3:02pm
post #43 of 46

wow .......I would  not pay 95.00 for a dough board. I have one and it was only 59.99 @ http://www.kitchengifts.com/ years ago .

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 6:42pm
post #44 of 46

That's where I had ordered mine, but at the time it was $75.00.  It is the greatest ever.  I had to make over 600 cookies for my daughter's wedding and I couldn't have done it without the Dobord (I made her the little "cookie cakes". 

The delivery was very fast.  I was very happy with them.  I also use it for pie crusts.  I love the Dobord - just wish it was a little bigger!

Hope this helps.

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 5:33am
post #45 of 46

I never would have thought about square dowels! I've been using round ones without any problem. I guess its cause we used it when I taught Wilton so I got used to them rolling around when I wasn't using them. I don't know how many times I've watched them roll off the counter after I rolled out some cookies. 

Thanks for the idea!!! 

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 7:04am
post #46 of 46

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006B4H5C/?tag=cakecentral-20

I use these things for everything I roll, including fondant.  Food safe (you never know what dowels at the hardware store are treated with), easy to clean and perfect thickness for everything.  I've tried using those bumpers for your pin but it's very easy to make a mistake and roll a little groove over your dough,  Anyway I I use white (1/4") for cookies, red (1/8") for pie dough, and black (1/16") for fondant.  

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%