Pistachio Butter Cream Grit Issue!! Help

Baking By littledee79 Updated 4 Feb 2013 , 3:56am by littledee79

littledee79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littledee79 Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 12:22am
post #1 of 7

I'm making a pistachio butter cream. I made my normal butter cream & added pistachio pudding mix & it's gritty!! Is there any way to fix this problem!! Help!!! PLEASE!!!

6 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 12:45am
post #2 of 7

Take a small portion of this buttercream and mix in some milk. Try at least 2 tablespoons milk for 1/2 cup of icing. If this works, then fix the rest the same way. 

Jello brand pistachio pudding also has lumps of nuts present, so you would have to pass the icing through a sieve to get rid of them.  Next time you can sieve the dry pudding mix to get the nuts out.

FYI instant pudding has starch that absorbs liquid very quickly from whatever you mix with it.  So to avoid the graininess, you have to add more liquid.

littledee79 Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 12:56am
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much!! I'm gonna try the milk 1/2 cup icing solution!! Keeping my fingers crossed while I do it!

BakingIrene Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 1:10am
post #4 of 7

It might take more than 2 tablespoons.  You didn;t say how much icing you made nor did you say how much pudding you added.

FYI the LorAnn pistachio flavouring is really tasty in icing. No lumps either LOL

littledee79 Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 1:50am
post #5 of 7

It's working!!! Slowly but it is working!! Where do you get the pistachio flavoring?

BakingIrene Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 7

It will take 15 minutes for the pudding to settle down with the extra liquid.

LorAnn oils are sold in many many places and online.  The company is at www.lorannoils.com and they are carried by Michaels and other candymaking craft suppliers.  Look at the website for your local dealers or buy direct.

You can buy the oils in 1 dram bottles (1 teaspoon) to try them.  If you buy the ounce sized bottles, then also buy the droppers that screw on and replace the bottle caps, so that you can easily drop the stuff in because it is really that strong.

littledee79 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 3:56am
post #7 of 7

AThanks I'll definetely be checking that site out:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%