Frosting

Baking By alleegrammy Updated 2 Feb 2013 , 7:58pm by homecake

alleegrammy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleegrammy Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 12

I've been reading about using dollar store squeeze bottles for frosting cakes and cookies. My question is, how do you attach the various decorating tips to the bottle?

11 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 3:45am
post #2 of 12

I think what they  may be referring to is if they are flooding their cookies.  You use a really thin, kind of runny icing and it spreads out and makes a smooth layer.  I did a quick search and found this link with some pics that  demonstrate it.  I think some may use the bottles with melted candy melts too.  You wouldn't be attaching an icing tip to the bottle.  With your icing tips you would use a bag, parchment paper cone or even a plastic baggie in a pinch.

mariel9898 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariel9898 Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 1:32am
post #3 of 12

I don't know about dollar store store generic squeeze bottles, but here are some with the tips.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IE0V02/?tag=cakecentral-20+decorating+supplies

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 1:46am
post #4 of 12

Generic plastic sqeeze bottles?  ONLY if they say "food safe" on the label.

You can certainly use freezer-weight zipping bags, with the corner cut off for the tube.  We KNOW those are food safe. 

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 1:53am
post #5 of 12

My guess is the dollar store ones would be like what they use for ketchup/mustard.

Carver9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carver9 Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 12

Hey Guys to get ready frosting,liquefy butter in pot over method warm and mix in brownish glucose and lotion. Carry to a steam, then exchange to a combining dish. Add confectioners' glucose and vanilla flavor. Defeat with a portable power combining machine until it gets to a growing reliability.Thanks!! 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 12

A

Original message sent by Carver9

Hey Guys to get ready frosting,liquefy butter in pot over method warm and mix in brownish glucose and lotion. Carry to a steam, then exchange to a combining dish. Add confectioners' glucose and vanilla flavor. Defeat with a portable power combining machine until it gets to a growing reliability.Thanks!! 

What???

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver9 

I hate to be the one to tell you this, dear, but the translation program you are using is making your posts incomprehensible.

homecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homecake Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 12

Thank God, for your last comment, I was reading that post and thought I had lost my mind!!! LOL

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecake 

Thank God, for your last comment, I was reading that post and thought I had lost my mind!!! LOL

I have tried to use Google translate to translate recipes on some eastern European blogs and they sometimes come up like carver's posts. I think the following might be what is meant:

"Melt butter in pot over medium heat and mix in brown sugar and cream. Heat to a simmer, then pour into mixing bowl.  Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla flavor. Beat with an electric  hand mixer to a soft peak stage  (alternately till it is spreadable).  Thanks!!"

I think it is meant to be a caramel (or at least a brown sugar) frosting.  Hard to tell without amounts. 

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb 

My guess is the dollar store ones would be like what they use for ketchup/mustard.

Yes there are those. They sometimes come with labels for various foods. 

There are also generic bottles-for-icing that come with tips--you can see the coupler in the package.

And then there are the very very cheap bottles that are used around here for hair dye. I would stay away from these.

homecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homecake Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 7:58pm
post #12 of 12

ah that does look a lot better, even tho I don't really see a relation with this thread

I know exactly what you mean, English is not my first language and I have used google translate in the past and is not good at all unless you just want to translate one word or very short sentence

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%