Bride And Groom Pretzel Rods - Suggestions/help

Sugar Work By Joshsmom Updated 29 May 2013 , 11:00pm by jnzulandt

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 7

Since we have soooo many talented people on this site I would like to ask for your thoughts and opinions..........

I've been asked to think about doing wedding favors for a person I work with.  What they are looking at is Bride and Groom pretzel rods (1 set per package) for wedding favors.  The bride is a piece of cake but the groom became one chocolate mess in my kitchen over the weekend as I attempted to make these tuxedos.  I've attached a picture so you all can see what we are going for.

Would anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish the tuxedo shirt (white chocolate), then the tuxedo jacket (darker chocolate) combo without having one melt into the other like what happened in my experiment?  I also would like to bring the darker chocolate further down the pretzel.

I've been searching even for a mold but no luck on that end either.

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 7

watch the temperature of the dark colored choco--don't get it hot

don't hold it in there too long--just dip

you should be fine

i'd suggest chilling the white part but you run the risk of potential condensation that way

(water of course will cause the choco to seize)

just watch your temps you should be fine

and you could chill the white part to tighten it up

then wait a few mins so it cools off a bit then dip

you should be fine

and those are absolutely adorable!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 7

you could pipe it on too

i almost always resort to piping when i want more control

it melts somewhere in the 90's so it doesn't need to be hot at all

Babbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babbo Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 7

Hahah these are fab!! Never heard of anything like it!!

Sorry no idea how to prevent the chocolate mess but these look fab well done!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 7

I would suggest for the groom, dip it in dark chocolate as deep as you need. Chill. Dip the top part in white choc. Chill. Dip it in dark choc again tipping the rod at an angle to get the V shape on each side and the back. Pipe the buttons and bow tie. See how he is much wider at the top (shoulders)? I think this is the way the original person did it, as there are a couple of layers of chocolate (dark then white then dark) making it wider. Just make sure you are charging enough...the groom if done this way takes 3 times longer to do than the bride. Cool idea though.

zjones4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zjones4 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 3:39am
post #6 of 7

If you know how to temper chocolate, then use TRANSFER SHEETS!

spread chocolate onto it (it is a strip or sheet of acetate paper.  i.e. transparency paper) and just before it sets, score it.  a single sheet can get you a hundred or so in a couple minutes if they are only 1cm big.

before the chocolate fully sets, gently bend it toward you (so the chocolate is on the outside) so that it more closely follows the curvature of the pretzel.

when the chocolate sets, break off each piece gently and place it on.  pipe your finishing touches.

so basically, spread, score, bend, let set up.  it is much easier than piping a different color for every piece IMHO!  :-)

jnzulandt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnzulandt Posted 29 May 2013 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 7

What ended up working best for you, I am going to attempt to make these for a shower in July, any heads up and techniques that worked would be appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%