New Store Front

Business By layers Updated 24 Jan 2013 , 6:53pm by jason_kraft

layers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
layers Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 4

I haven't forgotten Cake Central. This has been a place I've come to many times when I needed help or to just get inspired. I have to admit It's been a long while since I've visited, I've been really busy with the cake business, and now I'm ready to make my next move. So I'm back for help! This time I've decided to grow my home business, my kids are in full day school and my orders are getting larger and my space small.

Currently I'm searching for a store front and I have an appointment next week with the bank. At the same time I'm gathering together a list of items I will be needing to start my very own bakery. I wanted to share this with you in hopes someone who has already been through this process could share their list with me just in case I've missed out on something.

Thank you Cake Central. 

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 4

my only thought is make sure you crunched numbers to be sure you will make enough profit to make the jump successful/worthwhile

you have already considered raising prices to trim things up where you are

the new overhead will be offset by so much business that it's worth it?

you're gonna have payroll?

home baking with no overhead is an apple and a storefront is an orange

opening a storefront is having a mean insatiable baby that never grows up--not that you don't know that

but if you're successful where you're at and you kids are young you can manipulate your schedule for the soccer games and teachers meetings and etc--but the storefront has never ending diapers and is always hungry

what's your break even on the new space???

how much do you need to  toss out the window monthly to keep the lights on and pay the rent???

edited to say--those are just rhetorical questions icon_biggrin.gif don't gotta answer questions

just didja crunch any numbers? more business is not necessarily good business

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by layers 
At the same time I'm gathering together a list of items I will be needing to start my very own bakery. I wanted to share this with you in hopes someone who has already been through this process could share their list with me just in case I've missed out on something.

http://cakecentral.com/t/707078/business-expenses

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 4

AIf you just need to increase throughput you may want to consider a rented commercial kitchen (with hours by appt only) instead of a storefront.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%