Business Licensing

Baking By BlasianGirl Updated 21 Jan 2013 , 10:40pm by -K8memphis

BlasianGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlasianGirl Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 4

I'm 15 years old and I make a little extra cash selling cupcakes that I bake at my house to schoolmates, parents of the kids I babysit for, neighbors, etc. Nothing too big. I made up a "company name" to put on a business card which I hand out, and a website could possibly be on the way. I only get maybe an order or two a week if that, and I didn't bother registering it as an actual business or anything like that. Could I get in any legal trouble for this since I sell for profit? And if I could, what could I do/where could I go to license/register myself as a home-based business? I am a minor (Washington state), and there wasn't much I could find addressing this specific issue. Thank you!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 4

i think it's a really great idea for you to investigate this fully


yes you could potentially run into issues


contact your local health department or agriculture department


there's tons on here about starting a small business in wa

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 4

here's your regional assistance leads


scroll to the bottom of the page

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 4


Local Health Department Food Safety Contacts


washington food handling safety


there's no 'straight line' pointing somewhere to follow and get all this information


it's kind of like an iceberg--there's a whole lot more under the surface


most important thing is to go to your local health department people and your local small business departments


best of the best to you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%