Cake Shrink.

Baking By Tahe4ka Updated 20 Jan 2013 , 11:19pm by Tahe4ka

Tahe4ka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tahe4ka Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 5

Could you help me ladies, please! I finally found good scratch recipe for my yellow cake, but every time I bake cakes shrink a lot on the top edges. I bake them in 325 F with magic stripe. On this picture two of them baked with wilton stripes and one of them (lighter one) with homemade stripe. It`s shrink so much, what I need to use 2 inches larger pan then cake should be. 

4 replies
Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 12:45am
post #2 of 5

wow. something in that recipe or something that your doing is definitely off. But I'm totally the wrong one to explain why this is happening. hopefully one of our bakers who's more sciencey can help out lol. 

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 5

I am not an expert but it could be the temperature of your butter. Cold butter will cause the cake to not rise properly. Go to http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/ for details on the importance of butter temp. I would also try baking at 350.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 5

AIs it just this recipe or every type of cake you bake? If it happens with other recipes, I'd say maybe you're overbaking. Try taking it out 2-3min earlier. If it's just this recipe, maybe the recipe has too much protein? Try taking out one egg white. For example, if the recipe calls for 3 eggs, use 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk. Eggs should be at room temperature when you're mixing up the batter. Just mix until the ingredients come together, and don't over-mix. Hope you figure it out!

Tahe4ka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tahe4ka Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you Ladies for your help!

Sassyzan, this just happened with only one of my recipe. In this recipe 5 eggs, I will take out one egg white and will see. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%