Sharon Zambito Method And Smbc

Decorating By cocokatie Updated 21 Jan 2013 , 4:57pm by Hotcakesbyjules

cocokatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocokatie Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 2:16am
post #1 of 9

AI've heard a lot about Sharon Zambito's DVD's and how helpful they are. I'm looking to improve my cake decorating but I only like to use SMBC or ganche. Will her methods still work with those or should I save my money? Thanks!

8 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 2:58am
post #2 of 9

Nope.  You can't use paper or paper towels on ganache or meringue buttercreams.  Get a bench scraper and practice.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 2:58am
post #3 of 9

I don't think they will since you can't use a paper towel, foam roller or any of the other stuff people use to smooth ABC.  BUT - you never know what tips and tricks you can pick up that you may find handy in the future. So personally I think all education is good education.

cocokatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocokatie Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 9

AThank you! Other than the buttercream aspects....would the flawless fondant, topsy turvy and the other ones be beneficial or do they way too heavily on ABC? Thanks again

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 9

They would all be the same BC...

You are using SMBC, so get it on smooth enough... chill it so it is solid... then use a bench scraper like Annie suggested and scrape off until nice and smooth and straight.  Make sure your scraper doesn't have a handle that is wider then the blade though... makes it easier to keep it level.  The new Wilton side marker tool is perfect for marking a level line at the top of the cake then you just scrape it down until it is all level.  I use IMBC, but SMBC works the same. 

The only thing with this technique is that say you gouge the side or find an air pocket... fill it in with room temp icing and then chill it to solid again and then scrape.  If you try to scrape without chilling it will be visible where you patched it. 

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 9

You can get razor sharp edges this way too... which is nice for fondant.

hiyanado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hiyanado Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 9

AHi everyone its my daughers engagement in 3 months and its my dream to make her the cake iam having 300 people i was thinking of a3 tier cake and the rest cupcakes any ideas plz thanks

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 9

Hey there evrybody!  Our  dvds can certainly be used for those who use SMBC and ganache.  The one exception would be the paper smoothing portion of the  buttercream dvd.   The other techniques used in this dvd could apply to SMBC. The other dvds in our series could be  applied to cakes with either SMBC or ganache as well.  Thanks!

Hotcakesbyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hotcakesbyjules Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 9

I love Sharon Zambitos DVDs - well made and informative!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%