Are There Ganache On Mousse Possibilities?

Decorating By strawberry-shortcake Updated 15 Jan 2013 , 5:37pm by BakingIrene

strawberry-shortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry-shortcake Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hello guys,

I have been browsing this website for ages now, experimented, tried a lot of tips and I just cannot get enough of baking. So I had an idea and I need it to go well in one go, so I decided to ask you for help for the very first time. Hooray!

One of my friends's boyfriend has a birthday. He likes chocolate, a lot... Like an addiction! (who would have thought!?)

My boyfriend is really good at making stencils, so my idea was to make a chocolate mousse cake, but without the cake and more like a cheese cake, with chocolate ganache and stencil one of his stencils with powdered sugar.

My concern is that the mousse will melt as soon oas the ganache touches it. What are your thoughts on this? Can I freeze the mousse without a change in its light structure? Did you run into a recipe somewhere where they use this method? There are wonderful little chocolate mousse balls with incredibly dark ganache over them on Google, so it is possible. I just don't know how...

Thank you for helping!

Sofia

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 4

Better research your mousse formula.

For cakes, we use "mousse" with a custard base and some gelatin, plus melted chocolate and whipped cream and a little liqueur.  This will stifffen up enough to hold its shape when it is unmolded from the form. Cake makes no difference. 

Such a mousse can have soft ganache poured over it without any harm.  This ganache is chilled to set and then stencilling may take place without any trouble at all.

Pouring ganache over frozen mousse will make a lumpy bumpy surface.  Not a good idea.

strawberry-shortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry-shortcake Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 8:42am
post #3 of 4

Thank you bunches for your answer!

Does this mousse have a specific name so I can find a recipe?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 4

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/good-eats/chocolate-mousse-recipe/index.html

This has American measures but even a rough conversion will work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%