Ridiculously Shiny Chocolate Frosting?

Decorating By RickMeasham Updated 3 Jul 2013 , 6:00am by bct806

RickMeasham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RickMeasham Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 6:35am
post #1 of 11

Hey everyone,

Our local dessert god Darren Purchese has small deserts that are covered in a perfectly smooth chocolate frosting.  It's incredibly shiny (imagine a resin coating over chocolate!). You can see it on their blog.

Does anyone have any idea what this would be or have any idea how to achieve a similar effect?

The requirements:

1. Dark Chocolate (color at least)

2. Perfectly smooth

3. Incredibly shiny

Thanks!

- Rick

10 replies
iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RickMeasham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RickMeasham Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 11

That's it! Thanks .. thought it sounds scary. Guess it's worth a try.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 11

iwantcookies hit it right on the head

additionally~

for what it's worth adding some plain old karo syrup to chocolate glaze* can help achieve a very shiny effect too

less drama but just a thought

*i'm sure it would work with ganache but i can't remember actually using it in ganache but no reason why it wouldn't except it's baking and the devil is in the minutiae huh

i know it works in glaze

ratio is 3 tablespoons each of light karo and water to 1.5 oz choco and 3 cups confectioners sugar--may need additional 1-1.5 tablespoons of water--do not overheat or icing will not be glossy

new doubleday cookbook pg 822

tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 11

AI have never seen a shiny cake like that before. It's so pretty. I wonder what one of those costs.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 11

I make and use mirror glaze. You can see it on some of my cakes on Pinterest and I have other cakes with poured on ganache to compare. It's really very easy to make. What makes it shine is gelatin...........chocolate mirror is basically: cocoa powder and sugar dissolved in heavy cream with gelatin. It's easy to use on top of cakes, but very challenging to use on the sides of cakes. It's a pour on/over type of 'frosting', so your cake must be very smooth underneath to get that smooth look...........you can't spread on a mirror glaze.

Ganache with added corn syrup looks the most shiny when it's still liquid form. It becomes duller once you refrigerate it. Mirror glaze always remains highly glossy. Mirror glaze doesn't have the great taste ganache does.

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 11

AWhat gelatine type do you use? Powdered or sheets and will it make a difference? Thanks in advance :)

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 11

I use silver grade sheets. But that should not make any difference. You can exchange powder for sheets in all recipes (both need to be re-saturated/hydrated to work).

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 8:03am
post #9 of 11

AThank you, will try it out

cakeryhouston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeryhouston Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 5:19am
post #10 of 11

AQuick question ... is glacage perishable? Most places use it on mousse cakes so they are refrigerated and most recipes instruct to make it a day ahead and store in the refrigerator.

I'd like to use it on buttercream or ganache that is not refrigerated. All the products I use are non-potentially hazardous.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 6:00am
post #11 of 11

Wow. Gorgeous! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%