Beware Of Scam

Business By Monica75 Updated 11 Jan 2013 , 4:52pm by Janani65

Monica75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica75 Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 3:38am
post #1 of 7

I received an email asking for a quote for a last minute wedding. They wanted cupcakes. They said they had to make arrangements through email because both of them were deaf.
I thought it was a scam, my gut just didn't feel right... but I continued because I work with many people with disabilities, what if it was true...
I told them upfront that for a last minute order I expected 100% payment at the time of the order. They asked for a consulation this upcoming weekend because they were out of town and they would bring the maid of honor for communication purposes. Maybe me wonder.... what last minute bride would go out of town if the wedding is in two weeks.
They then sent another email asking to go ahead and place the order and send them information on sending a check for payment. I told them I don't accept personal checks and it just didn't make sense ..why send a check if we are meeting this weekend..... I said cash only at the consulation and that they needed to sign a contract.
They then emailed back and said it wouldn't work for them.
Be careful out there... these assholes are using people's disabilities to try to scam small businesses! I called the location they said the wedding was at and it wasn't a real wedding....

6 replies
KarmaTheCreole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaTheCreole Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 7

AWow! I wonder what drives people to do such things. It also makes me wonder why they thought it would work. That situation sounds like the scams people attempt to run on craigslist.

Janani65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janani65 Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 7

I had a similar email, as soon as I started my business. She said both of them were out of town so they won't be able to come to pay. She will send a check before signing the contract. I got advice from the wonderful people here and got rid of it somehow. 

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 7

It's sad that there are so many out there. I get them all time in my day job! "ACaketoRemember" has a great article on her blog where she has fun with these guys- it's a must read: http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/p/fun-with-email-scammers.html

Janani65 Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 7

OMG! dkltll That was hillarious! I loved your responses!

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janani65 

OMG! dkltll That was hillarious! I loved your responses!

Jan

I would love to take credit but this is from another CC member "costumeczar" I love her blog & her wit!

Janani65 Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 7

Oh! :)... 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%