Camembert, Any Ideas?

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 8 Sep 2013 , 3:29pm by Claire138

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 11

Have any of you made a cake in the shape of a camembert cheese? my sons birthday is coming up and it's his favourite so I really want to make him a cake to look like one however, I'm blocking on inspiration bc anytime I do a google search no matter how I phrase it all I come up with is cheese cake recipe's!

The round part of the cake is not the problem, I'm just concerned that it should look like a camembert and not a sponge cake that's gone horribly wrong.

Any ideas much appreciated.

10 replies
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 11

I just went to google and typed in 'camembert images'.  Lots of choices for you to look at though they mostly look the same.  Not surprising really.  One had a wedge cut out and placed on top of the camembert, a bit like some of the Colette Peters cakes I have seen.  If you made sloppier buttercream than normal for the cut edges it might look all ooozzy against textured fondant for the other edges.  Good luck, post a picture in this thread when it is done so we can see.

Claire138 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks Cazza, I have plenty of camembert in the fridge so I know what it looks like, I was wondering about a cake decorated to look like one. I originally thought to make a round cake and the fondant to look like camembert with a slice cut out of it but would love to see one to see how realistic it looks and not as I originally wrote like a vanilla cake gone wrong so then I started thinking I would make it in its box so that it would be no question as to what it was. If any one knows the way to google this without just coming up with loads of cheese cake recipe's please let me know. Thanks

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 11

Google, images, boxed camembert cheese.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 11

There is one picture with a stack of 3 "cheeses" made out of cake:

www.wickedgoodies.net  and click on "cake gallery".  The cakes are rounded off and smoothly covered in fondant...very lifelike.

If you have the rind of the camembert in mind, that would be fondant rolled on a LOT of sugar and not dusted off...and then some light blue and grey dusts added.

Claire138 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you BakingIrene, the cheese cake is gorgeous (all the cakes are) but not what I am looking for. I took one of the camemberts out of the fridge for inspiration and I've decided to go with an open box of camembert so that the bottom of the cake will be the "wooden" container and then I'll cut out a round circle from the top of the cake, line it with "paper" and put the "cheese" inside, if you understand what I mean. I hope it works out!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 11

Hi Claire, I saw a tiered cake with different kinds of cheese but I can't find it now.  Actually--tried google with "stacked cheeses cake", look what turns up in the images?

http://www.archhousedeli.com/arch_house_deli_images/cheese_wedding_cake/Cheese_wedding_Cake_Alex_Tough_1.jpg

Maybe you could make the "box" out of white chocolate or dried sugarpaste?

But the rind of the cheese itself is going to be a challenge.  I guess, lots of powdered sugar on top of white buttecream might come close.

Or heck, put a REAL Camembert on top of a cake, and let your kid have a piece of each...

Claire138 Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 9:57am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for (all) your advice, here is a photo of the cake I came up with,

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 11:23am
post #9 of 11

YUM.

courtenay88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtenay88 Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 11:13am
post #10 of 11

Claire138, your cake looks amazing! I've been trying to find tips on how to make a cake look like camembert for a while, there's not much out there! How did you get the top cake to look so textured?

Claire138 Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks!

I made indents in the fondant deliberately, I added some brown bits of fondant in different shades and then I dusted it with icing sugar or corn flour (I can't remember which).

I can see the errors in the cake that I would change were I doing it now but am happy over all and my son was thrilled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%