Smbc Under Fondant- After Its Applied?!

Decorating By SaraClassic Updated 5 Jan 2013 , 2:00pm by SaraClassic

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 9

SMBC under fondant... when its cold its heaven and can cover perfectly... BUT heres my question ( from humid and hot Florida) When will I meet me demise having this SMBC under fondant when the butter base starts to soften and that heavy fondant is on top... What do you do? Cant keep a full decorated cake in the fridge too long with flowers etc and get it to a wedding... then it sits out.... Wil I get a mess of saggy fondant and soft SMBC flowing?icon_confused.gif

THANKS !

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 9

that's all i mostly ever use

i did one unexpected outdoor reception with this scenario and it went perfect--that was in thousand oaks california

i had the cake sealed in corrugated cardboard boxes with ice packs inside and set it up at the last moment possible and it was fine--i usually setup two hours before reception/ceremony--but i only arrived that early--family wedding--and set it out last minute--perfect

here in memphis i deliver the same way--no worries--and once it's inside out of the sun and in air conditioning--you're fine

i deliver that way--all boxed up tight--even a short delivery distance so i don't have an anxiety attack if i get stuck in traffic get a flat stuff like that

i tested this and even in full Memphis sun it holds brilliantly--sealed box--ice packs

ice packs are wrapped in a paper towel to absorb condensation then placed in zip lock bags and firmly secured to inside of box--maybe even underneath the cake

i think delivery packaging is as important as the cake--but i'm a veteran overthinker

not to mention the time i deliverd a pink & blue flowered cake to arrive with pink & blue on one side and white on the other where the sun bleached out the color in the 30 minute car ride

i've pretty much done everything wrong at least once icon_biggrin.gif

SaraClassic Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 9

Awesome reply thank you ! And I use dry ice often... tried that yet? I look forward to others replies and using SMBC more. I just wonder .... ever counted out the cost difference in that VS the old school BC?

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 9

thank you

i do not think the cost difference out weighs the taste factor-- although i've never compared the prices

i go for the best taste i know how to do

i have used dry ice

re-useable ice packs are more convenient and a one time cost

i keep them in the paper towel in the plastic bags in the freezer--ready to rock and roll

once and done

icon_biggrin.gif

SaraClassic Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 9

AI buy dry ice so I'm not overly concerned with price just curious. The p.sugar and butter probably weigh out. But I always give the bc and smbc option for same price. People sometimes just like The sugary taste. I agree the smbc is better to my palette though!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 9

oh i see what you mean

i should enter this into my cake boss but i bet someone already has it

they'll be here in a minute i'm sure

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 5:38am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraClassic 

SMBC under fondant... when its cold its heaven and can cover perfectly... BUT heres my question ( from humid and hot Florida) When will I meet me demise having this SMBC under fondant when the butter base starts to soften and that heavy fondant is on top... What do you do? Cant keep a full decorated cake in the fridge too long with flowers etc and get it to a wedding... then it sits out.... Wil I get a mess of saggy fondant and soft SMBC flowing?icon_confused.gif

THANKS !

AZCouture uses SMBC under fondant in a hot climate. Maybe you could PM her for tips.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 6:44am
post #8 of 9

SMBC does cost more to make - not necessarily in ingredients, but the time to make it.  It takes me about an hour (or more) to make 30 pounds, and that is if the butter is already soft.  Time is money.  If I was just dumping butter into powdered sugar I'd be done in 20 minutes or less.  

I don't live in an overly hot area, but I've never had a cake melt.  I also don't put "heavy fondant" on my cakes.  I roll 1/16" thin.  So does Jaime (AZCouture).  I've never had fondant weigh a cake down.  

As long as you work in a temperature controlled environment, keep your cake refrigerated, and not allow a bride to bully you into leaving the cake outside for the reception, it's fine.  

I don't get dry ice, I use ice blankets and tape them to the inside of my box, lining it like a fridge, add cake, seal box, leave box in the walk-in for at least an hour to chill the whole thing, move to the van then cover box with a quilted speed rack cover.  I crank the AC and I'm off.  I've transported some big cakes a long way in some 90+ degree temps and when I open that box on location it's chilly.  

SaraClassic Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 2:00pm
post #9 of 9

AThank you both so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%