Fondant

Decorating By melaniemajors Updated 30 Dec 2012 , 5:49am by sixbittersweets

melaniemajors Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melaniemajors Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 5

AI'm new with fondant and don't know much about it. Everytime I cover the cake with it gets hard? Is this normal?

4 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 5

Read the list of ingredients if you buy it readymade. Some of the minor ingredients should be glycerine and vegetable shortening.

If you make fondant yourself, you need to buy food grade glycerine (aka glycerol) and add it using 1 teaspoon (5mL) per pound (450 grams) of sugar.  It slows down the rate of drying.

Buy it from a candymaking supplier or candy craft section, in the US the label will read "USP" if it is edible.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 5

AThe longer you leave fondant exposed to air the harder it gets. On a cake surface this is normal, it will not be brittle just dried out on the surface. If you are applying fondant several days before a cake is due, it is absolutely fine, and will still be softer under the surface.

bakeryxpress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeryxpress Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 5

AMakes the fondant to dry out so quickly. If you are dusting with cornflour, try to reduce it. I dust wit icing sugar. It helps d fondant not to dry so much

sixbittersweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixbittersweets Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 5:49am
post #5 of 5

FYI I've also heard that Fondarific dries out much more slowly than the other brands but it's pretty expensive. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%