Consider Fixing Your Own Kitchenaid - Yes, Really!

Decorating By MissCathcart Updated 21 Dec 2012 , 5:23pm by docofthedead

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 10

This morning I finally fixed the speed control switch on my 5 year old KA. Scary!!!!!!!!!! but I was desperate, and didn't have an extra $100 to have it done professionally. YouTube was my savior as usual.

This guy is the best teacher, and very slow and concise. The cool part is that I could go at my own speed. He'd tell  me what to do, I'd pause the video, and do it. After a half an hour my speed switch was fixed by ME.  NO COST. All I had to do was tighten the tension screw which is housed in the motor. Might sound complicated, but it wasn't. If it wasn't my first time opening the mixer it would have only taken 10 minutes at the most.

He has many more videos on fixing problems with the Kitchenaid. Such as awful noises, and not spinning to name two. My only other advice is to do this when you know you won't be interrupted. I was sweating bullets thinking I would ruin this expensive machine, and didn't want to be to be distracted

Hope someone gets as much out of it as I did.

Miss Cathcart.

9 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 10

HURRAH!!!

I remember the tension when I took apart my expensive sewing machine for the first time.  I too sweated bullets until I had it all back together.  From that time on, I have done my own work, I have collected operating manuals for my personal use, and I will save this link that you have so generously shared.

I would like to encourage other users of equipment to do the same--do your homework and never  let your machine be down at the shop for weeks eating your hard earned $$$.

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 20 Dec 2012 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 10

I particularly like the video that showed me how to adjust the beater attachment so it was not too high above the bowl, or too low. Very handy to know, and all it was, was adjusting a screw.  

Miss Cathcart

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 20 Dec 2012 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 10

This is great! Thanks!  

Sara22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara22 Posted 20 Dec 2012 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 10

This is awesome!! Thank you so much for the link:)

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 21 Dec 2012 , 12:50am
post #6 of 10

Thanks...I'm head'n right over to check these out.  

Does anyone have an issue with their kitchenaid being extremely loud!?  I should have taken it back when I got it last year....but I love it.  I actually have two; 4.5 and 6.5 (I think) and it's the newer/biggest one that is soooo loud. 

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 21 Dec 2012 , 1:53am
post #7 of 10

Hubby fixed my KA last year.  It had grinded to a halt in the middle of mixing RI.  I have 2 KA's, so first I tried to find a local repair shop.  Gave up on that and did a Google search.  Shared a YouTube video I found with DH and he spent about 15-20 min. taking it apart, fixing whatever it was and putting it back together.  Still running a year later, and cost was $0.00.   LOVE Goggle and YouTube :).

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 21 Dec 2012 , 2:18pm
post #8 of 10

AMine is awful, when I first got it I googled it and it seemed like it just needed breaking in, so I didn't return it. I should have! It's gotten a little better over time, but if its not been on in a couple of weeks it's really squeaky.

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 21 Dec 2012 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 10

Mine was loud from day one....and still loud a year later...still loud.  Sooooo agravating icon_mad.gif

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 21 Dec 2012 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 10

Fairly recently a friend of ours was going to throw away his wifes kitchenaid because he said it leaked.  He told my husband he could have it, eventhough I already own one that was a christmas gift last year.  We did a google search and found out that the "leaking" is a fairly common issue with them.  It was leaking lubricant around the silver ring where the beater clicks in (It has a name, but I can't remember it).  The lubricant around the gears breaks down over time, which causes it to drip down the sides from the ring.  We found a youtube video by searching "how to fix a leaking kitchenaid" and it brought up a great video that shows step by step how to take it apart, scrape out all the old grease, and add new.  I paid maybe $8 for the grease.  Viola!  no more leaky mixer, and now I have 2!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%