Decorating By amanda2016 Updated 18 Dec 2012 , 10:10am by Evoir

amanda2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amanda2016 Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 9:02am
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone my name is today was my first time making cake pops...and it was a total disaster...well actually it was all going great until i got to the part where i was going to melt the candy melts (i bought the wilton candy melts)


So with my first bag of candy melts i put them in a plastic container and put them in the microwave for about 30 sec..then took them out and mixed them a bit like it said in the bag..then i put them back in the microwave and took them out again after 30 sec i did this again like twice and the candy melts were melted but thick so i went on youtube to see how i could make it smooth and so i put butter since i didn't have shortening and thats when everything went wrong...the candy started getting all weird and looked bad!


i don't know what to do....someone please help i want to have these done by today...





1 reply
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 10:10am
post #2 of 2

AHi Amanda, welcome to Cake Central!

You will find adding butter, which has around 15 - 20% water content, may seize melting candy melts, and chocolate. Also, overheating your melts can take it too far and it will cook, turning into a hard mess.

You probably need to discard what you have and start afresh. There is a product called Paramount Crystals which aids in the melting of chocolate and melts, or try using a double boiler instead of the microwave, and stir continuously, slowly. I don't use those candy melts at all, but played with them a few times and discovered they take much longer than regular chocolate to melt.

Good luck with the cake balls!

Quote by @%username% on %date%