How Do You Store Your Decorated Dummies?

Decorating By vgcea Updated 17 Dec 2012 , 9:08am by vgcea

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:04am
post #1 of 9

I have one stored in a box right now but I don't want a bunch of boxed up dummies taking the little space I have. I'd imagine they would gather dust if I just placed them uncovered on a table but I'd much rather have them covered, just not in boxes. Any tips please?

8 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:08am
post #2 of 9

Clear green or blue trash bags? (more light proof than clear uncoloured ones)

vgcea Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:11am
post #3 of 9

Great idea BakingIrene, I suppose I wouldn't tie them right? Something about fondant not liking airtight environments or does that only apply to fondant on real cake?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:13am
post #4 of 9

You would have to loosely knot them to keep bugs out.  Once bone dry, they will be OK with a firmer knot.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 3:35am
post #5 of 9

Hmm. Are they frosted with frosting, or with Hydrocal? (I'm being a little tongue-in-cheek, and a little serious: it seems to me that a dense, strong, gypsum plaster like Hydrocal would be a good choice for frosting something that's not edible to begin with.)

vgcea Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 4:18am
post #6 of 9

They're going to be covered in fondant. I bet Hydrocal is many times more expensive than my humble home-made fondant and probably doesn't handle the same way. The dummies are mainly for practice with fondant work, and for mock-ups so using any other medium would defeat the purpose.

EDIT: Thanks BakingIrene!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 6:02am
post #7 of 9

Yes, if they're for fondant practice, frosting them with hydrocal would kind of defeat the purpose. On the other hand, if they were for window displays . . .

As far as what it costs, well, in 25 pound bags, it's about $2 a pound. But any decent hobby shop that specializes in model trains can supply it in smaller amounts, albeit with a bit of a markup. And it's strong. A couple of layers of hydrocal-soaked paper toweling will support your weight. I believe U.S. Gypsum originally developed it as a mold medium for lost wax investment casting.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 8:59am
post #8 of 9

Large plastic bags over the top.

vgcea Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 9:08am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

Yes, if they're for fondant practice, frosting them with hydrocal would kind of defeat the purpose. On the other hand, if they were for window displays . . .

As far as what it costs, well, in 25 pound bags, it's about $2 a pound. But any decent hobby shop that specializes in model trains can supply it in smaller amounts, albeit with a bit of a markup. And it's strong. A couple of layers of hydrocal-soaked paper toweling will support your weight. I believe U.S. Gypsum originally developed it as a mold medium for lost wax investment casting.

I'll have to remember that for when I have my shop. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredSaffron 

Large plastic bags over the top.

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%