Prices On Facebook

Business By fcakes Updated 18 Dec 2012 , 9:31pm by fcakes

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 8

I've seen a lot of business pages on Facebook not disclose their prices on items like a dozen cookies, 2 dozen cupcakes etc (not custom stuff).

They tell the customer to message them or send them a message. What can be the reasoning behind not disclosing prices when the work is not really custom?

Do you tell prices when asked or do them through private message/email only?

7 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 8

Because the price for *that* cake is probably not going to be the price for the new person's cake. What if the cake pictured served 15 and the person asking needs cake for 50? Gonna be quite a difference there. Here's a tongue in cheek post I wrote once after the zillionth bad experience with trying to do business on FB. :D

http://www.yumacouturecakes.org/2011/12/why-i-dont-do-that.html

Actually, I have more than one post on my blog about the way business is mostly done on FB in my parts...ugh.

fcakes Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 8

AThat's why I didn't mention cakes or custom work, but how about cookies, cake pops, cupcakes etc?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 8

Oh my bad! I was so excited to link to my hilarious crap I didn't read your post thoroughly. I agree...why the heck not put prices on those? 

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 8

I see facebook more for engaging people, viewing pictures, informing of specials/happenings, but not for selling. I'd have no problem with that on a website, but facebook just doesn't feel like the right place to post prices. Maybe I'm old fashioned. 

fcakes Posted 15 Dec 2012 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 8

AAgree, tdovewings, but nearly every caker has a Facebook page for their business....which is used to promote their products.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 2:06am
post #7 of 8

My Facebook is just to share pics of my cakes. If someone wants to buy a cake, they need to go to my website for prices or contact me. I wouldn't want to validate Facebook that way. If I change my prices, I don't want to have to change facebook and my website and Pinterest, for that matter.

I have seen people publicly discus cake orders with customers on Facebook -- don't understand that at all.

fcakes Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 8

AThank you Azcouture and howsweet :) so not a good idea to mention prices on FB then!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%