These Ruffles Are Buttercream Right?

Decorating By dreamsville Updated 22 Dec 2012 , 3:44am by tykesmommy

dreamsville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamsville Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 6

This cake was a smash cake and I would really like to do the same thing but not quite sure how to make those ruffles......certain tip???700

Sorry the whole pic uploaded. I'm just looking at the pink smash cake. Can anyone help?? I love the looks of this but have never done the ruffles before! Please and thank you for your help!!! :)

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 6

definitely looks like fondant to me.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 6

Here is one done in butter cream which shows you how to move your wrist when piping. At least this is another option for you if you prefer butter cream like I do.  The below looks like she filled the piping bag up too much but never the less will show you the method of how. She is using the rose tip for doing this. If you want a bigger ruffle you can go up to the rose petal tip 125. 

Here is another one done a different way.


If you prefer fondant I am sure you will be able to find many videos on youtube pertaining to fondant also.

Good Luck/ You can do it!!!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 6

I made a video piping buttercream ruffles with the giant rose tip #127 D.

(I'd use a 124-127 for multiple layers of ruffles.)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Dec 2012 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 6

That's definitely buttercream...Just use a big petal tip and wiggle it in a wavy shape while piping. Start a the bottom and work your way up.

tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 22 Dec 2012 , 3:44am
post #6 of 6

AI've seen that exact cake on Facebook and its done with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%