How To Tell A Bride She's Too Difficult To Work With

Business By bellacakecreations Updated 14 Dec 2012 , 4:46am by Pearl645

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 8:25pm
post #31 of 36

I had a bride that wasn't satisfied from just our (many) discussions on the phone. She wanted a 7 tier cake for 100 people and kept insisting that it be taller... taller... taller. When she started complaining about the price, I cut her loose. The money was not worth the aggravation to me. I told her I didn't think I could satisfy her and that it would be best if she found someone else to make the cake. She did. It looked good but guests at the wedding said it tasted awful and dry. The cake was enormous and complicated! I hope she was happy. I was!

I charge $20 for a normal consultation with a few samples and photos. I only offer ONE meeting! I would charge full price for a mock-up.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 12:22am
post #32 of 36

Clearly she has you by the cake balls.

Can you simply put the onus on her by saying "It is evident you do not like what I have come up with with two design reviews. I would encourage you to find another cake decorator. Here is your deposit back and we'll call your contract null and void." If she dares ask for any more special treatment, refer to that first statement. Either way, ie is she settles on one design and keep with your contract, or back out completely, you will have minimised any further inconvenience.

And yeah, I agree with all above - no dummies, no mock-ups, and ensure she has paid in full at least three weeks before her wedding (with no revisions allowed after that time).

deniseob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deniseob Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 12:11am
post #33 of 36

Go with your gut instinct I reckon.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 4:46am
post #34 of 36

She's out of her mind.  Keep your cool and if you truly feel like she won't be happy with what you do not matter what, tell her so.  It makes me sad that brides are so focused on having everything perfect when 50% of marriages end in divorce.   good luck to her groom!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 5:16pm
post #35 of 36

Oh...I can't wait to read how this turns out...please keep informed!  I can't believe you actually did a complete mock up for free!  Wow...the nerve to even ask someone to do that!   Can you imagine what she's putting her other vendors through?  Lesson learned though, right?

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 4:46am
post #36 of 36

Wow. Glad I read this thread. I had this same problem with a bridezilla recently. She didn't trust anyone. Not even her wedding planner and decorator who she hired. Just like you she asked for a mock up of a cake with avocado fondant and brush embroidery because she said she had never seen anyone do that style cake before here and wanted to make sure I could do it. In the end, her wedding planner dished up on her 3 weeks before her wedding complaining that she was too difficult to work with and he couldn't work with a bride who didn't trust him or his vendors. I was most happy I didn't do her cake. She would have found the slightest problem to broadcast on Facebook, BBM and Twitter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%