My Cupcakes Dry Out Extremely Fast. And I Have My First Order This Week

Baking By cupcakequeen511 Updated 4 Dec 2012 , 7:31am by VBaker

cupcakequeen511 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen511 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 4:10am
post #1 of 6

I got my first real order this week its only 2 dozen but still I'm excited and its for a real pastry chef so I want them to be perfect. This recipe taste amazing and cooks up wonderful, but within a day and a half they are sooooooooo dry. 

He needs them on Thursday, I am thinking bake Tuesday night let cool wrap then Wednesday evening seeing as he wants to pick up Wednesday night, should I tell him to keep them in freezer or refrigerator?? 

When in other forums it says wrap does it mean each one individually wrapped, or small numbers in plastic bags wrapped and put into freezer?? 

I have cupcake carriers and even though I typically don't plan on sending them to clients in my carriers but for this small amount and since I know him personally I plan to use them to help with this drying out.

Also any thoughts on how to alter the formula to keep it moist longer? there isn't any liquid in it now that I think about it. Any idea how to add it into it without making it all wrong. 

Thanks, RR

5 replies
rickys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rickys Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 5:43am
post #2 of 6

I don't know your recipe! however playing with liquids will do the trick. my cupcakes normally stay moist for 3/4 days.

Madenia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madenia Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 6

AI find that using buttermilk our sour cream also helps keeping them moist.

I bake my cupcakes on the same day unless its a large order but once they're frosted they stay moist for ages.

I would bake and decorate them and then just seal into your cupcake boxes. :-)

rickys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rickys Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madenia 

I find that using buttermilk our sour cream also helps keeping them moist.
I bake my cupcakes on the same day unless its a large order but once they're frosted they stay moist for ages.
I would bake and decorate them and then just seal into your cupcake boxes. icon_smile.gif

I agree, buttermilk is good.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 6

I always make my cupcakes 1-2 days in advance of when the cupcakes will be eaten, but I have eaten left over cupcakes I have made when they were 5 days old and they were just a moist as the first day I made them.

What do you store the cupcakes in?  I use clam shell containers from either:

http://www.brenmarco.com/aspx/ProductDetail.aspx?i=12959

Or

http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages/Product.aspx?GroupID=35520

You may want to try different recipes.  I would hate for my cupcakes to dry out that fast.

VBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VBaker Posted 4 Dec 2012 , 7:31am
post #6 of 6

I never store my cupcakes in the fridge as that can cause them to dry out. If you are baking a few days in advance, i always put them straight into the freezer and wait to ice them on the day they will be picked up/eaten. Sometimes freezing buttercream can give it a funny after taste, i haven't experienced that first hand though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%