Brand New Here

Lounge By SweetTreatsRo Updated 3 Dec 2012 , 1:42pm by sweetheaven2829

SweetTreatsRo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsRo Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 6:39am
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone

My name is Rosie and i am new to this site and to cake decorating in general. well kinda. ive done it for years but never really pursued it. would get discouraged with it and stop. but i took a cake decorating/fondant class and now i am very determined to make it into my passion. Any help anyone could off i could love you forever.

3 replies
Nixs247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nixs247 Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Rosie,

What sort of help or advice did you need? Maybe that way fellow CC members can help you out accordingly.

Nixs :o)

AmandaVermont Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaVermont Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 4

AI like to bake as a hobby and when my children were young, and before it was even really popular, I used to make cakes from my home for people who were beginning to get sticker shocked at the bakery.  A few tips:

1. Create an ingredients list, right down to the smallest item. 

2. Take your time;  plan all your work according to a time schedule you have created and a checklist of each necessary task in order of their performance.

3. With all the external skill sets available out there don't be afraid to use those external sources if you feel you are weak in some areas. For example, I recently made a cake with poinsettia flowers but I knew that making them myself might prove to be a challenge. Sometimes certain flowers just don't look perfect to me and the poinsettia happens to be one, so I ordered them pre made and I was not disappointed and my guests loved the cake! This makes the whole thing stress free and still enjoyable. 

Someday maybe my poinsettia flowers will be to my liking but I doubt it LOL, so let someone do that who is excellent at it. The prices are so inexpensive that you can't even make them yourself for that. So stick to what you know well and make the rest stress free.

4. Follow directions. Shortcuts are usually counterproductive when you are just beginning.  

5. Don't be afraid to study other people's cakes closely to get ideas for your own work; if you are in a non-competing market geographically they will usually not mind sharing little tips with you and sometimes will even go beyond and tell you how they made the entire project.

i am sure other members will jump in with their own tips, so i will end my list here. Good luck with your passion.

sweetheaven2829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheaven2829 Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 4

I am also new, to this and still looking in to classes, anyway.  what is the secret to a moist cake from scratch?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%