Grainy Whipped Buttercream Help, Please!

Decorating By MerlotCook Updated 16 Nov 2012 , 5:08pm by MerlotCook

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 6

I made this recipe: http://cakecentral.com/a/whipped-cream-buttercream-frosting and it usually works out great. Today, however, it is really grainy. I've mixed it for about 15 minutes and still it isn't cooperating. Should I add more boiling water and then thicken it with powdered sugar? Mix it longer? Let it sit? Something else? Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

5 replies
valerieb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieb52 Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 6

I just checked out the recipe..seems nice... you probably let the water cool a bit before pouring it on the sugar and was not hot enough to melt the sugar which make the buttercream smooth. You can take maybe 1/3 the recipe and get it hot enough to completely melt making sure the sugar is completely melted in the hot mixture...place the grainy buttercream on the mixer and immediately and quickly pour(and carefully) it onto the grainy buttercream and mix from med/low to high speed quickly, so it  does not cool off.Hopefully it will be hot enough to melt the remaining sugar. Let it rest for awhile and remix it to 'refluff ' ..

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 11 Nov 2012 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 6

Might want to check your powdered sugar.  I've noticed a few brands that I've trusted for years have a gritty texture when rubbed between my fingers (right from the bag).  There's just no fixing the frosting if that's the case.

jenbug1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbug1 Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 2:49am
post #4 of 6

A[INDENT][/INDENT] Did you happen to soften your butter in the microwave? I've heard that this can cause a grainy buttercream.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 5:30am
post #5 of 6

Did you do anything different with the meringue powder? Did you by any chance switch your brand of meringue powder, the quantity of the powder, or how you dissolve the powder this time around?

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for all the replies. I switched brands of egg powder and powdered sugar. I am making it again today and will try dissolving things better. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%