How Do I Achieve Pastel Colors?

Decorating By DinasSugarShack Updated 8 Nov 2012 , 5:28pm by BakingIrene

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 2:14am
post #1 of 5

AI need to make a baby shower cake and I need pastel blue, green and yellow. The Wilton website said to add white to primary colours. The white I have iOS sticky though. So I was wondering if there is an already made color so to speak

Thanks Dina

4 replies
Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 3:02am
post #2 of 5

I'm not really sure what you are asking. What type of food coloring do you have? You just add a very small amount of color to your icing for pastel colors.

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 3:11am
post #3 of 5

AI have sky blue, delphinium blue, golden yellow and leaf green. They are the Wilton gel colors. I thought that there were colors that are pastel, and I wanted to know what they were

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 3:38am
post #4 of 5

You just add a tiny amount of the colour to achieve a pastel shade. Lots for a bright shade.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 5

Take a half cup if icing and tint it a light shade of each colour by dipping a toothpick into the gel by 1/4".  Then add this to the cup[ and throw the toothpick away.  Mix well.  Add more white icing until you get the shade you want.

There are NO SUCH THINGS as "pastel" food colours.  There is only being able to add such a small amount of gel to icing that you get the right colour. Sorry I can't give you a youtube tutorial because if you can mix icing from a recipe then you can mix the colour in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%