Another Gumpaste Rose Question

Decorating By Sugarbunz Updated 24 Jan 2007 , 11:50am by boring

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 6

The first time I tried making gumpaste roses they came out satisfactory and I really didn't use any particular method, just a variation out of a book I have. I just kind of improvised, but had some issues with completing the base as well as with petals sticking. So I got floral wire, a gumpaste flower kit (Wilton) and gave it a real go. My problem is that I can't get the petals to stick. No matter how thin or thick I cut them. I actually bought premade gumpaste thinking *I* was doing something wrong when making it, but I still have the same issues as before. If I don't apply enough water they don't stick, if I apply too much water they slide. I've tried pinching them on (the base between my forefinger and thumb); but the previously attached petals either shift up, or if they are thinner, break apart. Half the time, in my frustration, the dried base ends up coming off of the wire. Out of about 8 roses I attempted, 4 of them went into the trash. Does anyone have any tips for me?

5 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 6

water isn't enough. I use a beaten egg white. it only takes a tiny bit. i also think it is important to make the bases at least a day in advance to give them time to dry firmly. Then if you need to work a petal in a bit you won't budge the base off of the wire.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 6

If you bought premade gumpaste, tear off 1/4 teaspoon of gumpaste and dissolve it in 1 TBSP water to use as a gum glue.

1 part gum arabic to 3 parts water also makes a good gum glue.

And remember you only need a little bit of glue to make petals stick. Think damp, not wet. Hope that helps some! icon_smile.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 6

a trick I use is to dip the paintbrush into the "glue" then wipe i on my hand before putting it on the petal.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 12:37am
post #5 of 6

Thank you. I did make the bases in advance, but I must have done something when inserting the wire wrong. I will try using the "paste" from premade gumpaste next time. Does this only work with premade or can I do it with homemade, or the dry mix you buy in cans too?

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 11:50am
post #6 of 6

Your base needs to be dry before you add your petals and that applies to any gumpaste flowers. I use water to stick my petals but the base is usually at least 24 hours dry before I start to add petals. As far as sticking the less is better rule applies here everytime. So if water doesn't work for you try one of the abovementioned glue's to find the one that works the best for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%