Need A New Buttercream Recipe

Baking By LaurelC Updated 5 Nov 2012 , 3:16am by LaurelC

LaurelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurelC Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 3:12am
post #1 of 9

I need a new buttercream recipe.  Mine doesn't work for me anymore.  Can anybody recommend a crusting buttercream recipe that isn't greasy, holds up well, and tastes good?

Thanks for your help,

Laurel

8 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 9

A. we have no idea of which recipe you were using.  Tell us.

B.  it's probably your ingredients NOT your recipe.  Recipes don't just up and stop working.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 9

Try IndyDebi's buttercream

LaurelC Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 4:21am
post #4 of 9

BakingIrene, recipes DO stop working when conditions are different and the ingredients change - like Crisco going to 0 trans-fats.  My buttercream was too loosey-goosey.  I bought some Parade Vegetable shortening, which has 3g trans-fat/serving so I'll try that.....and yes, I've tried hi-ratio shortening.

My recipe is:

2 cups Crisco (2 ½ cups in warm weather)

2 sticks (1 cup) Blue Bonnet margarine (1 stick/ ½ cup in warm weather) – Must be Blue Bonnet brand

½ cup 2% milk (may use whole milk but don’t use skim milk)

1 tsp. vanilla

½ tsp. butter flavoring

½ tsp. crème bouquet flavoring

2 egg whites

4 lbs. (2 bags) powdered sugar

remnant3333, thanks for the recipe.  I will try it tomorrow so that I don't wait until I need it to try it.

leah_s, have you tried IndyDebi's buttercream?  Is it yummy? :D

Thanks for your replies, guys.  It's MUCH appreciated.

Laurel

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 4:34am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelC 

BakingIrene, recipes DO stop working when conditions are different and the ingredients change - like Crisco going to 0 trans-fats.  My buttercream was too loosey-goosey.  I bought some Parade Vegetable shortening, which has 3g trans-fat/serving so I'll try that.....and yes, I've tried hi-ratio shortening.

Laurel

Yes well not only did Crisco change, but the old stock to new stock switchover is different across North America.  And some house brand shortening is also now trans fat...

I meant that there has to be an objective reason that the recipe stops working, it's not a random freak of the universe. I don't know how many people look at the nutrition info.  And I don't know how many of those know how to natch trans fat data to the shortening formulation.

You cannot just substitute hi-ratio for regular shortening, you have to account for the difference in water content.  

And sorry but my experience with beet icing sugar is NOT what has been expressed here.  If the sugar is 10X then it performs the same way.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 10:41am
post #6 of 9

Crisco changed its formula to zero trans fat YEARS ago.  When did you start experiencing difficulty?  Leah made a good suggestion about using Indy's recipe.  Indy said she never noticed a difference with her buttercream even after the formula changed.

If the icing is too loose, did you add too much liquid?  Sometimes you also have to take into account humidity depending on the weather conditions.  Sometimes you will not always need to add a lot of liquid. 

I agree with Irene about the hi ratio shortening.  You can't just sub one for one with that.  If you do, you end up with a very thick and heavy buttercream.  It's like drinking heavy cream when you were expecting skim milk.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 9

AI have to agree that there's no difference between cane sugar and beet sugar, no matter what Dominos Corp wants you to believe. There is a Standard I'd Identity for sugar. It is possible that the amount if cornstarch added to ps could be slightly different among brands.

newcake35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcake35 Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 2:19am
post #8 of 9

In the past I had tried making home-made buttercream with no luck!  The taste would be blah and greasy tasting! Well my son requested I make his b-day cake this year with a camo design so I searched and searched for a crusting buttercream recipe and thank goodness I found this site! 

Search for bunnywoman's BC recipe.....IT IS AWESOME!!!! icon_smile.gif It is the best tasting BC I have ever had and it worked perfectly for making the camo cake!!!  I will never buy pre-made icing again!!

LaurelC Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 3:16am
post #9 of 9

I'm not a professional baker.  I just decorate cakes and cupcakes (and cookies, for that matter) when my kids, grandkids, and their friends ask me to.  Because of that, I don't make buttercream often.  I try to "review" my own recipe every time I make it by making comments on the recipe itself.

I don't know why my recipe started getting loose, but the last couple of times I've made it, it was too loose.  Same recipe every time.  I've tried using 1/2 hi-ratio and half Crisco but it didn't help.

Don't want to argue.  Just want to try a new recipe.

newcake35, it's funny that you mentioned bunnywoman's buttercream because last night I did a search on my laptop and found BUNNY's "MOCK SHACK'S BUTTERCREAM ICING".  Is that the one you're talking about?

Thanks for all your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%