How Long Should It Take For My Glue To Dry?

Decorating By Shellski Updated 4 Nov 2012 , 8:55am by Shellski

Shellski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shellski Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 8:58am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone, I'm a novice at cake decorating and this is my first time using flower glue.
I'm making a 'Hoot the owl' cake (from a kids tv channel here in Australia) and he has massive eyes which will obviously need to be glued on, but they're quite heavy. I made them 4 days ago (fondant/tylose powder mix) and want to stick them on tonight, but I don't want to be standing here for ages waiting for the glue to dry.
I have 3 small kids to look after and one of them is sick (just to make life easy for me. lol). Hubby works away so I can't even get him to take turns with me! When I stuck his feet to his legs, it took quite a while for the glue to cure enough for me to let go without the foot falling over, which is why I'm worried about gluing the eyes on.

Is flower glue the best thing to use? Is there anything else anyone could recommend for this occasion or in the future?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks!!

3 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 4

ARoyal icing

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 4

Melted chocolate will also work assuming you are using fondant. If they're heavy, you can put a toothpick in the back to help them hang, too.

Shellski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shellski Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 8:55am
post #4 of 4

Thank you. :)
I will be using both of those suggestions next time.

They actually turned out ok in the end but I had to re-do his eyes because I was an idiot and didn't even think of the cake not being a flat surface for me to glue onto. hahaha. They broke. So I just made some more and glued them on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%