I Am Loving The Wasc Recipe! Reasons Why...

Baking By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 4 Nov 2012 , 10:46am by AnnieCahill

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 16

I just wanted to say that I'm loving the White Almond Sour Cream Recipe (athough I don't use almond flavour, I just use vanilla)! Thank you so much to whomever posted it!

I've always just used cake mixes. I just started using this recipe and it's awesome! First of all, it tastes amazing. It's nice and dense which is perfect for carving. I'm making my husband's 40th birthday cake this weekend (a 40 number cake), and when I carved the digits out, it cut so cleanly! And the best part, I don't have to use bake-even strips with this recipe. It bakes up flat! I strongly recommend this recipe!

P.S. Don't turn this into a scratch vs. mix debate please. If there are any rude comments, they will just be ignored. Thank you.

15 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 16

I'm glad you like it. I usually use some variation of the WASC for the cakes I give away (which is most of them since I don't have a business). I do however cut back on the sugar by about a half cup. Try using strongly brewed coffee in your chocolate WASC. The coffee flavor and smell is definitely in the batter but when it's baked you can't taste it. It just makes the chocolate flavor deeper.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks Annie! So how do you make the WASC cake as chocolate? How much Cocoa? I'll definately try it with coffee. icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 12:17am
post #4 of 16
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 5:06am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

I just wanted to say that I'm loving the White Almond Sour Cream Recipe (athough I don't use almond flavour, I just use vanilla)! Thank you so much to whomever posted it!

I've always just used cake mixes. I just started using this recipe and it's awesome! First of all, it tastes amazing. It's nice and dense which is perfect for carving. I'm making my husband's 40th birthday cake this weekend (a 40 number cake), and when I carved the digits out, it cut so cleanly! And the best part, I don't have to use bake-even strips with this recipe. It bakes up flat! I strongly recommend this recipe!

P.S. Don't turn this into a scratch vs. mix debate please. If there are any rude comments, they will just be ignored. Thank you.

Which recipe did you use? There seems to be a lot of different ones, and I would love to try it! Thank you!

AnnieCahill Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 10:00am
post #6 of 16

FYI Sugar Fairy, there is a whole thread of "gourmet flavors" that was created back in 2009. I haven't tried any of these, but maybe you will find the thread interesting. If I remember correctly, these were all based off the Rebecca Sutterby WASC (the only other one I know of is Kakeladi's original one, which has no oil and less water).

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-614554-0.html

I find that really the only cakes I do for non family and people I don't know very well are vanilla, chocolate, and lemon, so the WASC works well for me as a freebie. I don't personally care for it (I can taste the fake vanilla and it is nauseating), but people really go nuts over it.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 16
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 16

Annie, thank you so much for the link for the Chocolate WASC cake. I'm definately trying that! icon_smile.gif

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 16

thumbs_up.gif You are right! It is such a good and delish recipe...it makes wonderful cakes. icon_smile.gif

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 16

I was just looking at that recipe earlier and I was overwhelmed with the substitutions and info in the comments! 

I want to try it, but I'm a little discouraged because I tried a very popular WASC cake recipe on this site once, and I didn't think the flavor was great.  My normal butter cake recipe is from the Cake Mix Doctor, and I think I have gotten used to the butter flavor. 

Curious if any of you guys are decreasing the sugar? I saw a lot of comments on it being too sweet.  I would also like to try it subbing the water for buttermilk.  Anyone tried that?

cakesbyk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyk2 Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 11:53pm
post #11 of 16

I have been using the recipes for a while and people love them.  I'm a novice and fairly new at cakes but having a great time. I've used several of the recipes and found I love them all.  The coffee in the chocolate is awesome.  My daughter isn't a big fan of chocolate but she loves mine!  Yea!

AnnieCahill Posted 31 Oct 2012 , 12:32am
post #12 of 16

I always decrease the sugar to about a half cup.  I also add a teaspoon of salt.

LoriMc Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 12:45pm
post #13 of 16

So I tried it last night with three whole eggs, vanilla/butter flavoring, and decreased the sugar by half.  I think it's great.  Much better than the other WASC that people rave over on this site.  It was moist, but not overly so.  I'd like to try it with some other flavors. 

I think it tasted less like a cake mix than any other doctored recipe I've tried.

AnnieCahill Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 4:03pm
post #14 of 16

Lori,

Which version did you use?  The most popular one I think has the oil, and then there is Kakeladi's which has no oil and one cup of liquid.

LoriMc Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 1:19pm
post #15 of 16

Yes, the one with oil.

AnnieCahill Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 10:46am
post #16 of 16

Ok, I use that one too.  Except for the chocolate, then I use the Ultimate Chocolate WASC which I think I posted earlier in the thread, but if not it's in the most saved recipes section. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%