Favorite Dust Colours?

Decorating By howboutbake Updated 23 Oct 2012 , 3:36am by howboutbake

howboutbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howboutbake Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

So Christmas is coming up, and I've decided to invest a (little!) bit of money in dusts to 'fanci-fy' my desserts and cookies (just add a little pop to things) The choices are a bit overwhelming so I've come to you for advice.

Should I purchase luster dust, disco dust or both? I don't think I'm really going to bother with petal dust right now...

Also, what colours of disco/luster dust do you use the most?

Thanks a million!
Heather

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 4

Because Disco Dust isn't edible--it's fine grain plastic craft glitter--I don't use it nearly as much as I do FDA approved luster dust (Crystal Colors by sugarpaste.com).

One of my best purchases has been a large container of Bright Silver. I mix a bit of it with some Snowflake petal dust (white) and get edible pearl dust.

Rae

milliemoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milliemoo Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 4

I use pearl lustre a lot. I only ever use edible glitter, Rolkem, which I buy from Lindy. Here's the link to her website: http://www.sugarcrafthawkesbay.co.nz
She has lots of gorgeous colours.

howboutbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howboutbake Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 3:36am
post #4 of 4

haha yeah...I did a little reading after this. I had no idea disco dust was plastic!! I thought it was mica or something, like they use in mineral makeup. I mean, we all ingest gross chemicals on a daily basis and it's definitely better than glass glitter (!) but there's something about it that weirds me out.

Lustre dust it is! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%