Giant Cupcake Shell

Baking By Queen15 Updated 24 Feb 2014 , 4:32am by Crissielyn

Queen15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queen15 Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 15

I have just bought a wilton giant cupcake pan, and was wondering how to make a chocolate shell for the cake to sit in....I have watched a video on how this works with a silicone mold, but not sure with the pan, also what type of chocolate should be used, many thanks

14 replies
mmmcake0072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmcake0072 Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 15

I just use the wilton candy melts, add some shortening to it to make it smoother. One package is enough for the chocolate wrapper.

SuzyQ2505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyQ2505 Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 15

Hi, I also use the wilton chips and I don't add anything to them. Just melt in the microwave, pour into the pan and chill. I pour enough to cover bottom then run it down the inside edges just to start. I then take a flexible spatula and press the candy into all the ridges. You can keep doing this until you feel the edges are thick enough. I always pour a little more into the bottom and smooth it for a lttle added strength. Put in frig to cool and harden thoroughly. When it is completely cooled, just turn pan upside down (supporting the shell, of course) and it will pop right out. REALLY! I have made many of these and never had any problems. You will have to shave down the edges of the bottom part of actual cake a little bit to fit it in shell. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Queen15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queen15 Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 15

Many thanks girls...am new to this site and still learning how it works!

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 15

Have any of you bakers ever actually cut into the "candy melt shell" to serve it? I've made it several times but started thinking maybe it would be difficult to cut so I went back to using buttercream - although the candy shell is soooo much cuter!!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolLee

Have any of you bakers ever actually cut into the "candy melt shell" to serve it? I've made it several times but started thinking maybe it would be difficult to cut so I went back to using buttercream - although the candy shell is soooo much cuter!!

I've never seen how they cut into it but I once read that the best way to do it is to run the knife under hot water for a minute or so then cut it, other than that I can imagine it being VERY messy lol.

This is how I make it:

1. I use one bag of Wilton candy melts, you have to be careful when melting chocolate in the microwave always start with 30 seconds intervals then when its almost there use 15 seconds, and always stir the chocolate in between each interval.

2. Save around 5 candy melts. You will use these later to stick the shell to the board or plate.

3. This is the most important part. Using a silicone brush, spread the chocolate all over the shell and make sure you go through each line you really don't want any air bubbles in your shell. Also make sure your edges are always clean!

4. When you are done with step 3 pop the pan into the fridge for 20 minutes, then repeat the process twice using a spatula (depending on how much chocolate you have left)

5. When you are done coating the shell refrigerate it for at least an hour or two, actually the longer the better! When its fully chilled it will just pop out thumbs_up.gif

6. Be careful when flipping the pan, I always let it down on my hand lol I don't trust plates.

7. Whereas to baking the cake, use 3 1/2 cups of batter for the base cavity and 2 1/2 cups for the top cavity, put it in a preheated oven (middle rack) bake it for about an hour or until the toothpick comes out clean. Below is a video by Wilton, I found it very helpful.

8. With me I always have to carve the base before placing it in the shell, but I have seen others that don't need to I guess it depends on the cake recipe.

9. Make sure you glue your shell to your cake board with the candy melts you left. Also try to make minimal contact with the shell lol you don't want hand prints all over it. You can make the shell weeks in advance, just make sure it's always in the fridge.

Hope that helped and good luck icon_smile.gif

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 15

Cutting it without a hot knife is not pretty. I've made several and slicing in an issue. I like the idea of adding a little shortening and will try that next time. I also want to try pouring into the pan as SuzyQ suggested. Thanks for all the suggestions.

SuzyQ2505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyQ2505 Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 15

If you let the whole decorated cake and shell come to room temp and use a sharp knife, it cuts fairly decent. When you get to last couple of slices, yah it's going to crumble, but then you get to pick up the small pieces to eat cuz they aren't pretty enuf to serve! LOL Seriously tho, who's going to complain because their chocolate isn't all in one piece? Not me. It's all about the initial presentation for me. icon_wink.gif

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 4:02am
post #9 of 15

Giant cupcake candy melt base tutorial on this site.

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 15

Has anyone tried wrapping it in MC for the base?

Babbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babbo Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 9:13am
post #11 of 15

Has anyone tried fondant? I tried yesterday but could not get it right ;-) you couldnt see the ridges and it was lumpy??? What did I do Wrong?

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 2:29pm
post #12 of 15

Maybe the fondant was too thin? Can you add another layer of fondant to help hide the lumps? Just my thoughts.

daisycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisycakesnj Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 15

AI'd love to see photos if anyone is willing to post.

dmeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmeye Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 10:34pm
post #14 of 15

AI have just melted the chocolate and painted it on the cake base-no cake trimming

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 4:32am
post #15 of 15

AI can't make this work. Two attempts and the shell will not come out of the pan. It's stuck to the sides tight and any pressure applied makes it break off into pieces. Using Wilton candy melts darkened with a bit if gel coloring. Read to try sticking it in the freezer which didn't help. Even after two coats and left for hours to set up the darn shell does not come out of the pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%