How To Refirgerate Edible Image Cake

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 21 Oct 2012 , 10:14am by trishalynn0708

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 20 Oct 2012 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 3

I have only done an edible image cake once before.. The 1st time I did one when the cake came back to room temperature after refrigerating it, the picture got wet spots and made the picture sort of run and get clear water droplet holes in the image.. In that buttercream recipe I used a 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening recipe..

I am using a different recipe today (The cake is due tomorrow morning).. The recipe is 1 1/2 cups shortening to just 1/2 cup butter.. I am wondering if I take the cake out early enough, and give it time to come back to room temperature to "sweat" before my friend picks her cake up will the image still run like it did before? I kind of want to do the whole cake tonight but fear that it may run or the image will get messed up..

Any suggestions?? Also, the recipe I used tonight is a crusting buttercream recipe... Not sure if that matters?

2 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 2:18am
post #2 of 3

this may be too late, but I find if I place my edible image sheets on a white fondant/gumpaste/modeling chocolate "backer board" it will keep the image looking nice even after refrigeration. I roll it out really thin and use a thin coat of shortening to adhere the image to the backer. Hope that helps!

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 10:14am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

this may be too late, but I find if I place my edible image sheets on a white fondant/gumpaste/modeling chocolate "backer board" it will keep the image looking nice even after refrigeration. I roll it out really thin and use a thin coat of shortening to adhere the image to the backer. Hope that helps!

It is too late since I already made the cake.. but I took it out of the fridge really early this morning so it had time to come back to room temperature and hopefully I won't get any of the wet splotches this time.. I had some white fondant in the fridge too! I will have to remember this for next time.. Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%