White Cake Recipe & Advice Needed Please! -->

Baking By Roxybc Updated 18 Oct 2012 , 11:35pm by Roxybc

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 6

I'm looking for a good tried and tested white cake recipe, so wondering if anyone can recommend one?

I've been looking at the white wedding cake recipe used here http://www.sprinklebakes.com/2012/02/white-wedding-cake-and-swiss-meringue.html which originally comes from the book "Wedding Cakes You Can Make" by Dede Wilson. The recipe calls for cake flour, and specifically says not to use cake flour substitute (flour + corn starch). The problem is we don't have cake flour in the UK - has anyone tried this recipe using a cake flour substitute anyways? If not, do you think it would turn out anyways, even if I did use the substitute?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 6

You are looking for a low-protein bleached flour. If you can't find it, then mix half all-purpose wheat flour and half gluten-free flour BY WEIGHT.

The reason that the homemade substitution is not recommended is that people do it wrong and add too much total flour to the cake as a consequence. The right way to do it is to add the sifted cornstarch to the measuring cup, and then to add sifted flour to the level.

If you have a chance, work with a cake recipe that weighs the ingredients. The substitution then will work with cornstarch or tapioca flour or rice flour. These low-gluten flours are now becoming visible for celiac baking.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

You are looking for a low-protein bleached flour. If you can't find it, then mix half all-purpose wheat flour and half gluten-free flour BY WEIGHT.

The reason that the homemade substitution is not recommended is that people do it wrong and add too much total flour to the cake as a consequence. The right way to do it is to add the sifted cornstarch to the measuring cup, and then to add sifted flour to the level.

If you have a chance, work with a cake recipe that weighs the ingredients. The substitution then will work with cornstarch or tapioca flour or rice flour. These low-gluten flours are now becoming visible for celiac baking.

When you say mix the two flours - do you mean regular all purpose flour, or whole wheat flour? At first I thought you meant whole wheat flour, but I can't see that working well for a white cake.

I generally weigh out all my ingredients, and always add the cornstarch to the measuring cup first before adding in my flour. Whenever I bake and measure out my flour in cups, I also double or triple sift my flour as well.

When you say to work with a recipe that weighs the flour - do you mean that tapioca or rice flour can be added to the regular flour to make cake flour, or in place of it?

Sorry for all the questions!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 6

All purpose "wheat" flour as opposed to gluten free flour. Plain old bleached white stuff.

Rice flour or tapoica flour work the same as cornstarch when they replace some of the flour. I don;t know what your local market has available for "gluten free" but they are selling the individual flours in small sealed packets here in Canuckistan now.

Roxybc Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:

Thanks - just saw you posted this reply! I'll have a look at the threads tomorrow. It's 12:30am here in the UK, so I'm off to bed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%