Can I Use Ganache For Soft Centers?

Sugar Work By wowgirl Updated 10 Nov 2012 , 4:52pm by Lucyem

wowgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wowgirl Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 3:24am
post #1 of 2

Hi Everyone,

I have made chocolates before using a chocolate mold with filled centers using wilton premade soft fillings. They don't make them any more so I need an idea for the soft centers. I have read that you can use ganache and just use different flavours. Does anyone know if I do use melted chocolate in a chocolate mold, can I use a ganache for a soft center? If I can, how far in advance can I make them? I would like to make them for Christmas gifts but would really like to make them in advance. I just don't know if ganache is ok inside a hard chocolate shell or how long they are good for at room temperature. If anyone has any ideas or knows any of these answers I'd really appreciate any help.

1 reply
Lucyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucyem Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 2

I took a course at King Arthur Flour.  We made 2 ganache fillings.  Chilled overnight.  We scooped them out in ball shapes and then dipped them into tempered chocolate.  We then rolled them in powdered sugar.  With the cream etc in the ganache we made I am not sure how long they would store.  I have read to keep homemade chocolates between 65-68 degrees in an airtight container.  Some people refrigerate.  If they get too cold the cocoa butter can cause the chocolate to get cloudy looking, whitish.  But if you roll in powdered sugar or chocolate no one will notice.  

I am planning to make some for Christmas along with other chocolates.  I was thinking the ganache ones I would make last, the weekend before handing out.  Because of the cream I was going to keep those refrigerated but the other straight chocolates or dipped pretzels I was going to put in my pantry.  But I live in the northeast in an old drafty house so temps in my pantry are pretty cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%