How Long Edible Image Stays Well On A Cake?

Decorating By carmenscake_helsinki Updated 20 Oct 2012 , 10:14am by carmenscake_helsinki

carmenscake_helsinki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenscake_helsinki Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 9

Hi!
I am making a huge cake for next weekend and I will use a edible image.
The delivery will be at 9:00 am so it means I will finish the cake in the early morning.
It will be covered with fondant and having the image on the middle. And I will use corn syrup to attach the image.
The Party will start at 5:30 pm.
I am afraid I attach the image in the morning and by the end of the day it will be melted...
Do you know how long it holds well?
Do you have some tip?
Should dicuss with the client if I can deliver the cake later?

Your help is much appreciated! Thanks!!!

8 replies
carmenscake_helsinki Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 9

????Anyone to help?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 9

The image should be fine. Don't use more corn syrup than necessary. Use just enough to stick it.

But you really shouldn't have any worries. edible images are put on cakes with fondant and buttercream all of the time. The only time you have to worry about it "melting" is if there is a condensation issue or you have a very liquid frosting.

If you are not concerned with the fondant, the image will be fine.

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 9

What is your edible image printed on? Rice paper or regular buttercream paper? Rice paper tends to wilt and shrivel up after a couple of hours. I have found that regular buttercream paper works much better and lasts alot longer.
Fedra

carmenscake_helsinki Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you!!! I am very happy for your advices because is the first time I am using this edible image!
I even bougth one waffle image from a shop close by to test how it goes.
The thing is, I don't know if it is buttercream paper because my friend bought it on the internet and there doesn't say in what it is printed?

I went to the site where she got this image and it says how to use:
"Simply loosen the edible image design from its backing sheet by gently rolling it over the edge of a table or counter. Then carefully peel the edible image away from its backing sheet, position and place where desired on your cake. Gently smooth the edges with your fingertips as needed. When placed on food, edible images absorb moisture and become soft, blending in seamlessly with your culinary creation. Edible images for cakes are completely edible."

Can you know from the description, on what the image is printed?
It's not rice or waffle paper for sure.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 9

Are you putting the cake in the fridge? If so, just be careful because when fondant cakes come out of the fridge they tend to sweat and cause condensation which may ruin the image. Once I made a cake covered in fondant with royal icing stenciling on it and when I removed it from the fridge, the condensation ruined the stenciling I had done (it turned the white royal icing transparent). Maybe an image would be okay though. If you can, let us know how it goes as I'm curious. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 9

From the description you gave sounds like regular buttercream paper (that's the one you peel off). You shouldn't have a problem icon_smile.gif

carmenscake_helsinki Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 4:38am
post #8 of 9

That's great! Thank you!!!!
So, I actually don't need to put corn syrup or do I?

carmenscake_helsinki Posted 20 Oct 2012 , 10:14am
post #9 of 9

So, I am back to tell the end result: The edible picture didn't want pell off at all!
I was like glued on the paper...I followed all the instruction but still it didn't come off.
I tried to pell a bit more and it was tearing...
What did go wrong??? Are this images hard to pell?

Hope next time it works icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%