Light Sponge Cupcakes.. Mine Are Too Heavy

Baking By dodge666 Updated 12 Oct 2012 , 10:54pm by Relznik

dodge666 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodge666 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 2

Please help, Firstly i'm not a shop, Im a girl who bakes mainly for myself and friends. My cupcakes are very heavy and wet, I use equal amouts of butter 175grams, sugar, flour, 3 eggs, 1 baking powder, 1 vanilla ..

When I buy cakes at ant event they seem to light, what am I doing wrong? do they ad more flour ? the other week I bought some cupcakes at a charity even and at first they seemed very light, but I could taste the after taste of Bicarb in the sponge..

I just want a medium light cake well balanced. Please can anybody help me.

When I buy pre made cake mix it seems very light, how do they do it?

1 reply
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge666

Please help, Firstly i'm not a shop, Im a girl who bakes mainly for myself and friends. My cupcakes are very heavy and wet, I use equal amouts of butter 175grams, sugar, flour, 3 eggs, 1 baking powder, 1 vanilla ..

When I buy cakes at ant event they seem to light, what am I doing wrong? do they ad more flour ? the other week I bought some cupcakes at a charity even and at first they seemed very light, but I could taste the after taste of Bicarb in the sponge..

I just want a medium light cake well balanced. Please can anybody help me.

When I buy pre made cake mix it seems very light, how do they do it?

Try this recipe:

125g butter
125g caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
2 medium eggs, beaten
125g self raising flour, sifted
2 tbs milk

Cream the butter and sugar together until really light and fluffy. Add the vanilla. Mix in the eggs, a little at a time. If/when mixture starts to curdle, add a tablespoon of the flour. Continue adding eggs until all used up. Add flour gradually. Add milk.

Place into cupcake cases and bake at 150c until light golden colour (prob around 20/22 minutes)

As you're using s/r flour, there's no need for bicarbonate of soda, hence no after-taste. Adding more flour won't make your cakes lighter!!

Hope this helps.

Suzanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%