Lace Pattern -- Mold Or Cutter??

Decorating By kimkake Updated 5 May 2014 , 5:31pm by MBalaska

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 10

Hi - could you please look at the attached cake photo sent to me by a bride - she wants me to make the cake have this lace pattern on it (all credit for the cake going to Amy Beck cake design) -- The bride found it on Pinterest. I have been searching for a lace pattern to match this with no luck. Can anyone tell me if this is a fondant mold or some type of cutter?? Any help would be appreciated! icon_smile.gif
LL

9 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 10

I believe it is individual flowers and leaves cut out, applied to the fondant "undercoat," and connected with piped royal icing.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 10

I think in the Contemporary Cake Bible by Lindy Smith, there's this technique. She cuts the pieces with a cutter, glues them to the cake forming a pattern, then joins the pieces with royal icing.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 10

It looks like cutters to me and the overpiped and attached using r/i. hth I looked at the pic again on pinterest. It says it is hand cut. hth

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 2:50am
post #6 of 10

Thank you everyone - I will now be able to give her an accurate estimate know what kind of time will be involved with this cake! icon_smile.gif Thanks again!

sixbittersweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixbittersweets Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 5:46am
post #7 of 10

Glad I found this thread before posting the question myself.  I've seen these exact shapes on other cakes (probably inspired by the now-famous cake pictured above) so I assume they're probably sold in a set.  Does anyone know where to buy this set or who makes it?  Thanks!

Oboeplayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oboeplayer Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 8:23am
post #8 of 10

AI have the book by Lindy Smith which this comes from. There are five different cutters made for her and available on her website.

Tostigrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tostigrl Posted 5 May 2014 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 10

Did anyone find the actual flower cutter set or just the cutters?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 May 2014 , 5:31pm
post #10 of 10

looks like the cutters are on the page that imagenthatnj   liked to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%