When To Cover Cake With Buttercream And Fondant?

Decorating By Regina1983 Updated 7 Oct 2012 , 8:57pm by Regina1983

Regina1983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Regina1983 Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I need your advice. I am making a 3tiered wedding cake which contains buttercream and is covered with fondant. I am planning to bake the cakes on Thursday and fill/cover on Friday for a Saturday wedding.

I am confused when to refrigerate the cake. I put the baked practice cakes (no filling) into the fridge and I found that they were a little dry afterwards. So should I not put it into the fridge before covering?

And what should I do with the finished cake-leave it at room temp over night? I am a little worried that it might go off after what people have been saying on websites. Whilst practising the cake,I left them at room temp.... Uuuhhhh, what to do?!??

Please help-I don't want to accidentally poison 100guests icon_sad.gif

5 replies
punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 6

I have heard not to put fondant in the fridge. I have found that if I put the cake in a container, like a big box where the air can circulate around the cake the fondant is fine. I just bring the cake to room temperature before delivery. The fondant may get some "air bubbles" but they usually disappear after the cake comes to room temp. I have put a fondant cake in a cake carrier and that does not work well. I think the humidity gets trapped in there. Also, I'm not sure what kind of filling you are using but it may need to be refrigerated. A chilled cake travels better also. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

savannah8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannah8 Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 6

I normally bake the cakes very early Friday, after they have cooled I put them in the fridge to firm up approx half hour - to one hour I then fill the cakes and crumb coat the cakes with a crusted butter cream. When butter cream is firm I mist with a little water and put on the fondant, when all cakes have fondant I then decorate them .Box them up and leave them on the counter overnight. I have never had a problem with this method. Fruit Cakes I do a little different.
Hope this helps.

Regina1983 Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both very much! Despite practising, I am a little anxious icon_wink.gif
I am making the attached recipe (minus fruit cake) and will wrap the plain cake over night (room temp). I will then fill and cover on Friday and leave the finished products in a box on the counter.

I will be so happy once the cake is cut and served icon_smile.gif

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4578/creating-your-wedding-cake

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 6

As long as you aren't using a perishable filling, you don't need to refrigerate cake. It was dry because refrigeration (like air conditioning) removes humidity/moisture from the air. You can bake cake layers ahead of time and freeze until needed, as freezing adds moisture.

If you aren't using anything perishable, you can leave it out at room temperature. It will become more moist the longer the cake and icing gets to meld with one another.

Regina1983 Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 6

Thank youicon_smile.gif the lemon curd is from a jar and my lemon cake buttercream is therefore non perishable. However,the chocolate cake filling contains cream. I will have to put it into a fridge and hope for the best :-/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%