How Much To Charge For Fondant Flowers?

Business By MellyT Updated 6 Oct 2012 , 1:19am by carmijok

MellyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MellyT Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 13

I'll be making 100 cupcakes for a brides wedding! I have a price breakdown of what i'd charge and i'm having difficulties putting a price on the flowers.

I'm charging $2.50 for each cupcake with icing
$100 for tier rental and delivery

I'm thinking of charging $1 each for the flowers. Size is around 1.5 - 2 inches in diameter. What do you think?
LL

12 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 13

How long does it take you to make each flower?

MellyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MellyT Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

How long does it take you to make each flower?

I haven't timed myself but i'm thinking with colouring and such, 3 (flat ones) - 5 (the 3d ones) minutes?
But again, i'm new to making these flowers so i'm slow icon_smile.gif

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 13

I know it's different everywhere, but do you already charge $2.50 for an undecorated cupcake?
What do you charge per serving for a normal decorated cake?
I think that the price would then be comparable to that.

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 13

I charge $25/dozen for a basic cupcake with sprinkles or something really simple and $30 or $35 per dozen depending on difficulty when they have fondant toppers.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellyT

I'm thinking of charging $1 each for the flowers. Size is around 1.5 - 2 inches in diameter. What do you think?

You could find out how much they cost to purchase online. Sell yours for what they are currently going for, plus an upcharge.

jason_kraft Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:

I haven't timed myself but i'm thinking with colouring and such, 3 (flat ones) - 5 (the 3d ones) minutes?

You should definitely time yourself so you have a better idea. Let's say the ingredients cost $0.30, and it takes you 5 minutes to make one flower. If you pay yourself $12/hour, the labor cost would be $1. If your kitchen rent is $15/hour, that would be an additional $1.25, so your cost would be $2.55 (or $1.30 if you have a legal home-based business). Add a 20% markup and you have a price of $3.05 or $1.56, with and without kitchen rent respectively.

Of course you may find that it's cheaper to buy them, in which case you should do so (assuming you are satisfied with the quality) and add your markup.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

You should definitely time yourself so you have a better idea. Let's say the ingredients cost $0.30, and it takes you 5 minutes to make one flower. If you pay yourself $12/hour, the labor cost would be $1. If your kitchen rent is $15/hour, that would be an additional $1.25, so your cost would be $2.55 (or $1.30 if you have a legal home-based business). Add a 20% markup and you have a price of $3.05 or $1.56, with and without kitchen rent respectively.

Of course you may find that it's cheaper to buy them, in which case you should do so (assuming you are satisfied with the quality) and add your markup.

Sorry but I would be hard pressed to charge $3.00 each or even $1.56 each for those flowers. I know I wouldn't PAY that. These are not the kind of flowers that require much skill to produce. Here's a link to a global sugar art flower that is similar (more complicated) and it's $15 for 40 of them. ...or around 39 cents a piece. http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=25397&name=Frangipani%20Flower-Small-White%20with%20Wire%20Gumpaste%20Flowers

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 13
jason_kraft Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Sorry but I would be hard pressed to charge $3.00 each or even $1.56 each for those flowers. I know I wouldn't PAY that. These are not the kind of flowers that require much skill to produce. Here's a link to a flower that is similar (more complicated) and it's $15 for 40 of them. ...or around 39 cents a piece. http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=25397&name=Frangipani%20Flower-Small-White%20with%20Wire%20Gumpaste%20Flowers

At that price, this is probably one of those components that should be outsourced for now until OP has enough volume to make them more efficiently en masse (e.g. 60 seconds per flower).

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 13

I would just charge $3.00 for each cup cake. These flowers are easy to make. I don,t think that price is too hight. I would pay that for this type of cupcake.

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 1:00am
post #12 of 13

Let me start by saying, I am not my customer...my customers pay much more for my cakes than I would. $3.50 for a cupcake with that flower on it is more than reasonable, imho.

Minette

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 1:19am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring

Let me start by saying, I am not my customer...my customers pay much more for my cakes than I would. $3.50 for a cupcake with that flower on it is more than reasonable, imho.

Minette

I too would pay $3.00 for a cupcake with the flower on it...not for the flower alone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%