Charity Donation Requests?

Baking By All4Show Updated 13 Oct 2012 , 4:27pm by GeminiRJ

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 4

My Sister-in-law has developed a successful Cookie Decorating business. The problem is it's so successful that she is being overwhelmed by requests from charities to donate cookies for their fundraisers. What type of policy have all of you developed over the years that will nip this in the bud and not be insulting to the charities and cost you business? It's impossible for her to make a profit with all these requests.

3 replies
tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 4

I had the same thing. I opened my cake shop. With in the first month I had over $1,000.00
in donation requests.
I am a very small shop. I had to put up a sign saying do to "overwhelming requests I cannot donate at this time."
I pick one charity a year. usually it is my local volunteer Fire Department. I donate about 6 cakes elabrately decorated. To be auctioned off.
I graciously tell the others. I have already reached my donation limits.

I don't feel bad. I think of it this way. I opened my shop to feed my family. I am taking food out of my childrens mouth. If I would be sick and need to close my shop. Would these people worry about me? Most likely no. They just go to another business.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the quick answer tripleD. I'll pass that along to her.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 4

Saying no will not have a negative impact on her business. All she has to do is be gracious when she declines their request. And congratulations to her on her successful business!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%