Glad My Daughter Got That Call ( Bit Long..i'm Miffed)

Lounge By mommachris Updated 2 Oct 2012 , 5:46pm by cakecraving

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 3:03am
post #1 of 5

I was just about to leave for an appointment recently when my daughter picked up the ringing phone. I heard her talking to someone about an order so I ventured into the room only to have her wave me away violently.
Turns out it was Winnie again.

Bless her heart, she just doesn't get that she is on the top of my 'no cake for you' list.

About four years ago she had me working on her never ending cake truffle assembly line. She was buying them 4-5 dozen at a time in bulk ( put in cheap tupperware boxes). I'm convinced she was repackaging them as gifts or to trade with her hair dresser for services.

Anyway, I had to raise my prices ( from $5 dollars per dozen to $7.50) because ingredients were getting more expensive. This was in the day when I wasn't charging for my time. I'm smarted now. icon_wink.gif
Well, she balked at the increase. Even said to me ask we ended the conversation, "If you ever want to sell them for less, let me know."
I KNOW, she nuts. She wanted me to sell them for less than it cost to make them.
She knew that I had many small kids and still expected me to jump in the kitchen whenever she called.
After she tried to make them herself. Yes, I gave her my recipe. icon_confused.gif cause I'm so smart like that. icon_rolleyes.gif
She called me in distress, unable to make them. "I'm up to my elbows in chocolate. It's on my ceiling." I didn't bite.
So my son got very sick. She calls about a month after I got back from the bone marrow unit. Didn't even ask how he was doing. She wants truffles.Told her that I charge $15 a dozen now. "People pay that much for them!?"
"Yes, they do."
"I can't afford that much. Fifteen? No, I won't pay that much."
That's when she went on the list.
A year goes by. "Are you making them now?" No, it's July, too hot to be dipping chocolates."
Another year goes by.
And here she comes at me again this weekend. Holly got the phone call.
"Is your mom making truffles, yet?'
"Not yet. She may make some for the hospital sale."
"Well, THAT's not until after Thanksgiving." she whined.
"Yes, but I'm sure she'll have some there to buy, if you want them."
"Okay, have her call me as soon as she starts making them. I want four dozen."
"They are $20 a dozen now."
"Twenty, TWENTY!. She gets orders for them at that price?"
"Yes, too many orders. She's thinking of upping it again so that she's not in the kitchen so much."
"Oh, my. Well.....have her call me."

Yeah, I'll get right on that. NOT. I don't want to hear about how I shouldn't make any money for the time I spend away from my family for her.
She's going to have to get them at the bake sale. She had no respect for me, my time or my family.
Takers...we all have one in our lives.
Mine is named Winnie.

mommachris

4 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 3:06am
post #2 of 5

My starting price is $3 - - each. You go, Girl!

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 10:59am
post #3 of 5

Just hang up on her next time you realise its her. And then send her a cease and desist letter or you'll report her for harassment.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails

Just hang up on her next time you realise its her. And then send her a cease and desist letter or you'll report her for harassment.

I don't know that a C & D would be justified if she just calls once a year. I'd just quote an outrageous price next time she calls and tell her you must have a signed contract with a 50% deposit before you'll take the order. You probably won't hear from her for 2 years this time. icon_rolleyes.gif

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 5

How funny. Some people just never get it do they

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%