80's Cake With Neon Colours

Decorating By poppy1974 Updated 14 Oct 2012 , 10:50am by poppy1974

poppy1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppy1974 Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 8

I've been asked to make a cake with neon splashes all over. I have purchased the neon food colouring but am struggling to get the consistency of the icing right. Also what is the best way of splashing the icing on?

Thanks. Claire

7 replies
JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 8

I am assuming you are using an American buttercream? If so, I would suggest icing your cake and then attaching neon fondant cut out splashes. They would be neater and give the effect splashed paint. Just a thought!

poppy1974 Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 6:13am
post #3 of 8

Thank u, that's a good idea. I did try just mixing icing sugar with water & then adding the colour. I read somewhere about splashing it on with a brush but that didn't work for me!

Pearl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl123 Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 8:48am
post #4 of 8

I did this one recently, Cake is covered cream cheese frosting (with marscapone and whipped cream). I thinned royal icing down with a little water and used a new toothbrush. The icing consistency has to be drizzling off the brush when you dip it. Run your thumb hard down the bristles to get finer spots. Stand a little back and flick your wrist to get a good splash and lines. When I tried to flick it on with a paintbrush it didn't work for me. The toothbrush worked very well.
The only thing is it did "bleed" just a very very little into the frosting. But didn't run or affect the look, and you could only see if if you really looked hard.

p.s. Be very careful on choosing your colours. Some colours mix to make muddy brown etc,

Hope that helps!
LL

poppy1974 Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 8

Thank u very much. I like the idea of the toothbrush so will give that a go. I do think royal icing would be better so will try that too. Ur cake looks great by the way! Thanks again.

Claire

Pearl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl123 Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 8:23am
post #6 of 8

You're welcome Claire. Thanks for the compliment. Can't wait to see your pics!!
p.s. I also tried this will icing sugar (powdered) mixed with a little water. It actually did work too...
Its easier than making Royal icing I guess...

poppy1974 Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 8:36am
post #7 of 8

Thank u. I'll upload some pics once its completed!

Claire

poppy1974 Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 10:50am
post #8 of 8

Well I made the cake yesterday & was really pleased with the results. I don't know whether the consistency of the icing was wrong but I couldn't get on with using the toothbrush! I ended up using a squeezy icing bottle with a writing nozzle on & literally threw the icing on!

I've tried to upload a pic but it wont let me at the moment so I will try again later.

Thank u all for ur help. Claire x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%