How Long Can Coconut Milk Sit At Room Temperature For?

Decorating By MellyT Updated 3 Oct 2012 , 8:56pm by Wildgirl

MellyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MellyT Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 12

I'm needing to make Coconut buttercream for cupcakes.
I've bought extract but it doesn't taste good and want to opt for canned Coconut milk

However, how long do you think coconut milk buttercream can last out at room temperature for?
I'm going to use the Buttercream Dream Recipe here on CC.

Extremely grateful for your opinions!! thanks icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 12

Coconut milk is OK at room temperature for 24 hours for sure. Use shortening instead of butter, it blends better.

You may find that you also have to add a little of the extract, it will taste OK once they are mixed.

Also consider a light dose of coconut rum onto the cupcakes before icing them...

MellyT Posted 27 Sep 2012 , 5:42am
post #3 of 12

perfect !! thanks very much! icon_lol.gif

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 6:22am
post #4 of 12

I didn't like the taste of coconut extract either. I feel like I get a stronger coconut flavor using cream of coconut than coconut milk. I use this brand of cream of coconut in my BC. It does not need to be refrigerated (but I refrigerate anyway): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SB0XRU/?tag=cakecentral-20

BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 12

What brand of coconut extract did you try and not like?
(I love Flavorganics)
-j

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 12

If you can get it, creamed coconut is great to use. It's thicker than cream of coconut, coconut milk, or anything related. It comes in bars. I found out about it when I needed to make a recipe from a Mich Turner book. This was the main ingredient.

Creamed coconut can be stored at room temperature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creamed_coconut

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00113ZZ5U/?tag=cakecentral-20

MellyT Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGerald

What brand of coconut extract did you try and not like?
(I love Flavorganics)
-j

I used club house and only because it was readily available. Wish I had gotten one from a specialty store but they didn't have coconut at the time. I saw the brand you're talking about !! Have you tried their vanilla extract? any opinions? icon_smile.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 12

I use the Club House coconut flavour. I think it's best used when coconut milk and shredded coconut are in the cake, then it just wakes up the flavour a little.

I also have the LorAnn-- and a dropper in the bottle cap because it's that strong. Get it from BulkBarn in the tiny bottles for testing--then get it from Goldas Kitchen online in the ounce size.

For vanilla, buy the beans in glass tubes at BulkBarn and make your own. Chop them up and stick them into some light rum or vodka and let them sit in a warm place for a month. Ore try ebay if you need a lot...

BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 12:08pm
post #9 of 12

I have not tried the Flavorganics vanilla extract (I'm pretty hooked on the Nielsen-Massey).

I don't rely on the Flavorganics coconut extract alone, either, including actual coconut and coconut milk in the recipe. So crazy yummy and moist, btw.

Good luck!
-j

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 12

I wonder if coconut oil could be subbed in for a bit of the shortening too.... it is solid at room temp and smells divine... Wow, does this ever sound yummy!!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 7:49pm
post #11 of 12

In the uk, we buy creamed coconut and coconut milk in cans which are on supermarket shelves. If you buy it the same way in the US then its fine at room temp as its sat in the supermarket for atleast a month at room temp. That's how I always distinguish the difference. Also, if it does need to be refrigerated after opening it'll say so on the can.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 8:56pm
post #12 of 12

I just went and made a small batch using 2/3 C hi-ratio, 1/3 C virgin Coconut oil, about a lb of powdered sugar with enough regular cream (don't have coconut milk right now) to make it work - and it is wonderful! Very smooth and smells and tastes delicious! I am so glad I had a tiny chocolate cake in the freezer - it's now thawing so I can EAT this frosting! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%