Plse Help! Shelf Life Of Carrot Cake Covered In Fondant?

Decorating By colies Updated 24 Sep 2012 , 3:10pm by MacsMom

colies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colies Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 8

I need to bake a christening cake for a friend and they want the cake finished on Thursday to take with to their kids,who lives quite a distance from them but the christening is not due till the following Sunday which makes it 10 days since i've baked the cake. Would a carrot cake covered in fondant keep fresh for such a period of time and if so what would you suggest i fill it with as I am afraid to use the normal cream cheese filling. I am really worried about the timeframe and would really appreciate your input. many thanks

7 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 8

No. It will all go bad.

Can you wrap the cake and freeze it? They could stick it in the freezer when they got there. It will only take a few hours to thaw on the day of the event.

Otherwise, politely, but emphatically, decline.

colies Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

No. It will all go bad.

Can you wrap the cake and freeze it? They could stick it in the freezer when they got there. It will only take a few hours to thaw on the day of the event.

Otherwise, politely, but emphatically, decline.

Thanks Matthewkyrankelly!
Can I freeze a cake covered in fondant? I have never done that before. Won't the fondant go all sticky and soft?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 8

You can freeze a cake covered in fondant. Don't wrap it in plastic. It is best inside a cardboard box to protect; DO thaw it first in the fridge overnight. As it comes to room temp, it will develop condensation like anything will, but it dries just fine. For it to make it 10 days, it will have to go in the fridge when it gets to it's destination. Take it out of the fridge 2 to 3 hours prior to the event.

A more stable filling than cream cheese filling is white-chocolate truffle filling: It's just 24 oz white chocolate (I use almond bark or candy melts) and two 8 oz pkgs cream chz. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring it every now and then; beat in the cream chz (room temp). You can add some PS if you want to seeten it up and vanilla or butter flavoring for more flavor. The chocolate is what makes it more stable.

colies Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

You can freeze a cake covered in fondant. Don't wrap it in plastic. It is best inside a cardboard box to protect; DO thaw it first in the fridge overnight. As it comes to room temp, it will develop condensation like anything will, but it dries just fine. For it to make it 10 days, it will have to go in the fridge when it gets to it's destination. Take it out of the fridge 2 to 3 hours prior to the event.

A more stable filling than cream cheese filling is white-chocolate truffle filling: It's just 24 oz white chocolate (I use almond bark or candy melts) and two 8 oz pkgs cream chz. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring it every now and then; beat in the cream chz (room temp). You can add some PS if you want to seeten it up and vanilla or butter flavoring for more flavor. The chocolate is what makes it more stable.

Thank you MacsMom!
I really appreciate! Would you suggest I ask them to take off the cake toppers before they put it in the fridge? To give you an idea,its a 9 inch square cake with a small elephant,lion and giraffe fondant cake topper on. Many thanks for all the advice,I am still new at this and appreciate any suggestions.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 3:38am
post #6 of 8

That seems like a good plan.

Pack the figurines by themselves. No need to freeze, just keep dry.

Freeze the cake in a box, wrapped tightly with plastic wrap. If you wrap the box in plastic you get very little condensation on the inside. The condensation will be kept to the plastic mostly.

Any condensation that does occur will have no effect on the cake.

When the cake is up to temp, they can set the figurines on it.

Good luck!

colies Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 11:00am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

That seems like a good plan.

Pack the figurines by themselves. No need to freeze, just keep dry.

Freeze the cake in a box, wrapped tightly with plastic wrap. If you wrap the box in plastic you get very little condensation on the inside. The condensation will be kept to the plastic mostly.

Any condensation that does occur will have no effect on the cake.

When the cake is up to temp, they can set the figurines on it.

Good luck!

Thank you Matthewkyrankelly! Really appreciate the advice!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 8

You can leave the figurines on the cake. I do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%