Here I Go Again W/more Questions!

Decorating By debidehm Updated 23 Sep 2012 , 12:51pm by niccicola

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 1:45am
post #1 of 3

Since I've been decoration cakes, I've never ventured far from the butter cream recipe my Mom gave me. I did try indydebi's recipe (which I really like), but hear so many good things about other styles of butter cream, that I want to try some. First on my list to try is a Swiss Buttercream. I don't think I've ever even tasted it before. Another poster gave me a link for a cake recipe, and I found a recipe for the Swiss buttercream, and they even have posted a small batch (recipe) version of it to try on a small cake. Sounds perfect (in case I ruin it, I'm not ruining a full batch. I hate waste!).

My question is, if I frost a cake on Friday (I assume it will hold fondant ok??), for a cake to be eaten Saturday...does it need to be refrigerated from Friday to Saturday? I don't want to try it (the Swiss BC) if the cake would have to be refrigerated once frosted.

As always, I appreciate all the help I've been given!

2 replies
Jessielynn21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessielynn21 Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 4:53am
post #2 of 3

I have never made swiss buttercream but I know for regular buttercream I always refrigerate my cakes. I have had the horrible experience of having one half of the cake sink because the icing in the middle became to soft. Look at the ingredient list and if it has something that would soften up in heat like butter or shortening than refrigerate it.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 3

I never refrigerate my cakes because it always causes more problems than helps. I need everything to be at room temperature because 99% of the time the cake is sitting out in room temperature at its final destination.

With that being said, I only make products that don't require refrigeration, which usually means a ratio of high sugar to counteract any growth. I do not make cakes with Meringue based buttercreams for Clients. For home use, I use it and have not had a problem with it sitting out at room temp overnight and through the next day until it was time to cut and serve.

Just don't leave your cakes in a high humidity/high temperature area and there is no worry of melting/sliding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%